Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Switching over to Synthetic Oils in Motor Home
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
77newell

If you go to my previous thread about dino versus current synthetics, basically what you will find is that as best I can tell from the specs of the synthetic is that it meets the critical requirements for two stroke engines. Also note that there is currently no independent way to verify that CF-2 oils still meet that standard because the test engine used for the purpose no longer exists. For that same reason there will never be the opportunity to approve any new oils to meet CF-2, so even if the new synthetics would meet the CF-2 performance requirements they will never be so certified.

If an oil costs twice as much but lasts at least twice as long as proven by oil testing I would do that to save me the hassle of changing the oil.

Be aware that the testing of the oil will not prove the impact on the engine (the critical one seems to be carbon buildup around the rings). The testing would prove impact on the engine if the critical issue was internal engine wear. The test will prove whether the acid neutralizing capability is still working, it's still capable of holding more dirt, and that the wear additives are present in adequate amounts.

I suspect that I will never learn about any potential deleterious effects on the engine of using non=CF-2 oil since at 5,000 miles a year it will probably take another 30 years before any problems would become apparent. I'm 67 so I'm unlikely to be around at that point, it would be nice but unlikely.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote