Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - New Wood Flooring
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
KimnKim

Wink

Richard...the material is Gunstock Oak - Golden Select. Purchased it through Costco. The installation process was quite simple and, given the relatively minimal square footage of the overall floor space, relatively manageable. You need to pre-drill 45 degree holes through the tongue (2 holes for short and medium boards, 3 for longs) using a bit with a coutersink bud. The screws to use are coated deck screws (these have very small diameter head size - barely larger than the shaft of the screw itself). I used 2-1/4 inch, I believe. The screw is installed so that its finished depth is just below the 'V' at the intersection of the board and its tongue...in other words, allowing for the groove of the next board to fully mate with the tongue of the board you've already screwed into place. Once a center line is established and the guide coarse is laid, it's simple row over row progression until, of course, you run into the many, many nooks, crannies and curves of the Newell. A note of interest...you will likely have to begin in a spot that is not adjacent to a wall or fixture. In mine, it was the top of the stairwell which is essentially in the middle of the coach. So, in order to construct coarses on either side of the original coarse, you will need to cut some material to duplicate the size of the tongue so that you can turn the grooved edge of the first coarse into another tongue. That can be glued into place when the opposite coarse is ready to be laid.

Regarding allowance for expansion/contraction, I managed to find opportunities under the dinnette, in closet door openings and by installing a kick plate under the kitchen counter, allowing an eighth inch spacing there. In some spots however, it simply wasn't possible. I will have to wait and see the effects of a full four seasons for the results.

The bathroom cabinets are the only laminated surface within the coach that didn't see a coat of paint. And, to be honest, if the shower/tub hadn't been 'Dusty Rose', it would have been changed as well. It retrospect, we are delighted with the final appearance of the bathroom.

Finally, I'm a Canuck who purchased a long time Texas coach (first owner was NY State).

Tom...what a small world. The rest reading this are going "Crossfield, Lethbridge, what the...?" Once I figure out what private messaging is, I'll shoot you a note. Would be grateful to hear of your experiences.

Michael...sometimes you just have to go for it, don't you? Thirty nine feet of laminate is a hefty project though.

I've delighted in reading of your many experiences throughout this site and appreciate the insight I, and many others, derive from your penchant for sharing. Thank you.

And thank you all for your kind words and making a 'newby' feel welcomed.

See further attached photos of my Texas Treat as it was on the PPL lot in Houston a year ago last month.

Regards
Attached Images

Coach #186
1987 Wide Body - Transplanted Texas Longhorn, eh!
KimnKim is offline   Reply With Quote