Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - ULSD fuel lubricity interesting article
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
77newell

That study was done in 2007 about a year after ULSD was introduced. The study has not been updated since. The original study cited "tests prove that often times the fuel we purchase is not adequately treated and may therefore contribute to accelerated wear of our fuel delivery systems" though no documentation is provided as to the origins of the samples nor the degree of lubricity deficiency. The degree of deficiency is of vital importance.

My opinion: I can't convince myself that the large volume diesel users would allow continuation of a fuel supply that destroyed engines. Since I cannot find reports that trucking companies regularly used lubricity additives, and I have yet to notice any large company trucker adding something to their fuel tank when fueling at truck stops I think the study somehow managed to produce some very provocative data that turns out to be irrelevant, especially 6 years later - that's a lotta diesel under the "bridge". Having been prompted now to think about my additive strategy which has been none in regard to lubricity I think I will keep it the same.

everything I know just ain't so
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote