Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Engine Bucking
Thread: Engine Bucking
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
fulltiming

Adding to my post, when changing out the fuel filters, I would recommend the following procedure,

1) Take the new primary filter (slightly taller) and fill it to overflowing with diesel (CRITICAL that this be done) making sure the gasket is coated with diesel,
2) Wipe down the existing primary filter and housing (drivers side firewall on the 8V92 models) to make sure the area is clean to avoid getting junk into the new filter, remove the old primary filter and screw in the new filter, tighten the new filter by hand, don't use a wrench on it, after the gasket touches the housing, tighten 1/2 turn,
3) start the engine and run it up to about 1,500 rpm then run at high idle for about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, check the filter for leaks, then shut the engine down,
4) fill the new secondary filter to overflowing with diesel making sure that the gasket is coated with diesel (again CRITICAL),
5) clean and remove the old secondary filter (drivers side of the engine near the radiator) and screw in the new filter, tighten filter by hand,
6) start the engine and run it up to about 1,500 rpm then run at high idle for several minutes, again checking for leaks before shutting the engine down.

To keep the new filters filled with diesel from spilling, tear the top off of the box they come in and place the filter back in the box to keep it upright. You can take the old filter and place it back in the box to minimize the amount of diesel you spill.

If you don't fill the filters with diesel before you install them you will have to purge air from the system and that is no fun at all. Have the new filter ready to install as soon as you remove the old one to minimize the potential for air getting into the system.

Starting and running the engine between filter changes again minimizes the potential that enough air will get into the system to cause the engine to stall and have trouble starting again.

It is a good idea to take time to drain any moisture out of the water separators before changing the filters. If you suspect that you have gotten any fuel with moisture in it, draining the separators is a good idea. On my coach, the separators (one for each tank) are located in the bay with the generator fuel tank). Open the petcock, when clean, clear diesel comes out, close the petcock. I use a paper cup to catch the water/diesel so I can get a better view of what is coming out.

It is also a good idea to periodically do the same thing to the tank drain valves on the bottom of each tank. The first time I opened the petcock on the main tank, I got about 6 oz of black junk (algae) out. I had to stick a broom straw (a large paper clip that has been straighten out will also work) up into the petcock after I opened it to get it to start flowing. Again I used a paper cup to collect the diesel/gunk/water that comes out.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote