Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - I've got to ask who drives?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
tuga

I think that if a wife/girlfriend WANTS to learn to drive, she should be encourged. If not, trying to push her into it would be a mistake IMO.

Regarding blowouts, I have seen a Michelin video on tires blowing out. Michelin recommends that the correct response to a blowout is to ACCELERATE briefly then brake gently and pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

The reason for accelerating is: the coach has a tendency to shift to one side and accelerating forces it to continue in a straight line. When it is traveling in a staight line it can be controlled more easily.

I had a driver's side front blowout on I-25 in Santa Fe; I was doing 65 mph (my usual speed). I WAS ON CRUISE CONTROL.
When I heard the tire blow, my immediate response was to brake. The coach tracked straight and I pulled over to the shoulder. No damage to the rim, fender, or any insulation. I feel that driving slower mitigated my damage.

My point here is, it doesn't require any extra strength on the part of the driver if they understand what to do in case of a blow out (accelerate). Also, our Newells have power steering.

Learn to drive ladies, if you have a desire to do so. You can do it!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote