Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Generator White Smoke
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussWhite View Post
Follow up...

Thanks Richard for your thoughts and ideas. First I removed the air filter and while not pristine it was looking pretty good to me. I really did not know how you wanted me to check the turbo, so I just removed the hose between the outlet of the filter canister and the inlet of the turbo. I stuck my finger in there and it spun freely. I then fired it up and watched it spin with the aid of an inspection mirror. I returned the generator to its normal running position and set the air conditioners to ice cold and turned on the AquaHot selecting electric only and it was all the way cool. I had a good load going on the generator and I then went outside to observe the exhaust. It looked clear and I thought, that was easy. Must be the air filter, but soon things changed and the smoke was back. I think in the past I just hand not looked at the exhaust that soon after it started. Well I planned to follow your advice and let it have a long run and get good and hot. While watching I occasionally noticed bits of black popping out of the exhaust pipe. I then looked around and there were carbon bits everywhere. See the picture of my car covered in the stuff. I wasn't feeling too good at this point, but the generator continued to purr and coolant and oil were just where they should be on the gauges.
Now it's hard for me to just let the fuel be consumed when I could plugin, but kept telling myself this was probably the thing to do.
The second picture shows the final result as the smoke eventually stoppped completely as did the carbon bits. There are no more boats going by and pointing to the roof of my bus Thanks - Russ
Russ,

My generator does the same thing; white smoke and bits of black carbon come out of the exhaust. I change my air filter every time I change oil and filters. I re-read your post, but I can not figure out what you did to make it stop smoking? Did you change the air filter? Or did disconnecting the hose that goes from the air filter cannister to the turbo do the trick? Or did just running it with a heavy load do the trick?

Thanks,
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote