Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - The Full Time Dream!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #45
chockwald

It's been a couple of months (almost) since I wrote here.....we are now within 29 days of Elaine's official retirement....we are no longer talking in terms of months, or weeks, but now DAYS until we escape the workaday vortex of our lives. I have been reducing my time spent in the "office" to a couple of days a week now. It has been hard for me to start the "withdrawal" process. For a number of weeks I struggled with feelings of guilt, remorse, etc. about not "being" in the office 5 days a week. When you have been doing something for 40 years week after week it is hard to change that habit. Intellectually I understand that it is not necessary for me to be physically in my office every day anymore, but psychologically it was a struggle. I felt like a slacker, to use the term from "Back To The Future" by the principal, Strickland. Today I can say I don't feel those feelings anymore, and I no longer feel like a "slacker"....haha! My business is under control, my customers are happy, and could care less where I physically am when I speak with them over the phone. They just want to know that I am solving their problem, or answering their concerns about their insurance, etc.

Now, I get up in the morning with my wife and see her off on one of her last days "on the job" and then call my office to check for voicemail, check my e-mail, and then the FAX queue. If there is nothing awaiting my attention then I spend time reading a number of "fulltimer" blogs, read some political articles, and then work on the latest mountain bike I've bought to take apart and sell on Ebay. My last bike I bought and parted out was a 2003 Trek Fuel 9.8 (most of you will have no idea what that is, but Richard may) which I bought on Craigslist for $300, and sold part by part on Ebay for $900. I keep looking over my shoulder to see if someone is there saying "you can't do that!", but there is no one there, and my PayPal account continues to grow.....very cool to make money at something that gives you a lot of pleasure, and provides many buyers with a bike part they need at a reasonable price....win, win for sure.

Elaine and I spend about 10 hours a week, combined, cleaning the cabins and preparing them for occupancy the next weekend. We've settled into a nice routine that does not seem burdensome, and gives us some options when we are on the road to do some workcamping in other locals we may choose to spend a few months enjoying. This has been a great experience, and in the process we have made some new friends with quality people. The County of Riverside has treated us well, and provided us a great place to live, and we are truly grateful for this opportunity!

We are thoroughly enjoying fulltiming, and completely consider our Newell to be our "HOME" now. I love waking up in the morning realizing I am waking up in my Newell. Our two roof A/C's have worked marvelously this summer. We have most often only had to run one at a time, because with two on I get a brain freeze...

We have been going on bike rides of varying length almost every weekend lately.....two weeks ago we embarked on a 45 mile tandem ride, and had a blast. Last weekend we rode, together, up to the top of Mt. Rubidoux and then on to breakfast at a local popular breakfast spot in Riverside, and then home...about 10 miles. Three weeks ago we did a 27 mile "trike" ride on our Terra Trike tadpole trikes on the Pacific Electric trail. The main thing is we are riding on a regular basis, at least once a week, and getting more seat time on the bikes....whether it be 10 miles, 27 miles, or 45 miles, we are getting out and doing it, which is a big change. It will only get better when Elaine no longer has to show up for work.

Well, that's my story. Life if good, and the future holds untold adventures yet to be experienced. We are on the threshold of a brand new life.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote