Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - add slides to older Newell series 2000 coaches?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
rheavn

Troy,
Not sure if your question is a mental exercise or something you are considering. The question of whether it is possible has been answered as it has been done. If you are considering the alteration I think there are a few issues that one should address before finalizing a decision. The early 2000 chassis came with 24.5" tires. When Newell began installing slides(late '96) they found they were up against the weight rating of the 24.5" tires & changed to 22.5" wheels & tires. Not sure how many slides you are considering, but weight will be a consideration before you even start the project. There is also a question of weight balance-both side to side and front to rear. Many of the early multiple slide coaches put one slide on the left side and one on the right side. There is also a cost effective question. In considering this issue take into consideration not just the initial cost, but how much value are you adding to your coach, if any. On resale will a buyer want a Newell with add on slides(s)? Another consideration is who is going to service the new slides? A owner of a Newell with their first factory installed slide can still go back to the Newell factory and get the slide serviced.
Now for my opinion which you didn't ask for. I do understand some peoples quest for a challenge & to have something different. On the other hand when I go through the classified section of this site I find Newells with factory slide(s) below $180,000. I don't see where this project will be cost effective.