Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Gas Furnace
Thread: Gas Furnace
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2002, 03:45 AM   #3
TechTalk

Hi Danny:

Are you pretty good mechanically.? If so, you might consider installing a Webasto heating system. Dick Wright at WRICO in Idaho has all the parts. Your Newell comes with off engine heat in the bedroom and front dash. I removed all three propane heaters and added a heater core under the fridge (with ducting to the bathroom) When I have shore power I use an electric water heater and the factory water pump to circulate the heated water. When dry camped, I use fuel to heat the water and when going down the road the engine keeps the coach warm. By activating a solenoid I can also preheat the engine before starting. This system is similiar to Newell's current system (Aqua Hot), except I use the existing heater hoses rather than dedicated tubing. I control room heat by indivual heater core fans controlled by wall thermostats.

If you ever have to replace an a/c, get a Duo Therm air conditioner with a remote controller. It not only shuts your roof air (fan included) off automatically, but you can control your heaters (propane or diesel heat) with its mode/zone options.
If you prefer to stay with propane, I suggest installing a Surburban gas furnace (Duo Therm no longer makes furnaces). You will have to modify the exterior vent holes, but it is doable. Another option is to cut a hole in the side of your coach and install a Hydroflame furnace. I attended RV Tech school (RVIA) and feel very comfortable with propane installations, pressure checks etc. If you are not familiar with propane heating, I suggest you farm this job out.

Another option is the propane catalytic heater. It is the most efficient device energy wise, but also the most dangerous. You need to use a CO2 detector, keep a window cracked, and turn it off before going to bed and . It also has a tendency to fog over the windows in very cold weather. Some people love 'em and some people hate 'em.
Good luck and enjoy!
TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote