Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Luxury Coach Owners How much Do You Budget For Yearly Maintenance Costs?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
77newell

Unfortunately there are no pat answers to your question. The two big variables are the condition of the coach when you buy it and how much labor you can contribute. As several others have noted it is wise to set aside 5-10 thousand on top of the purchase price for initial coach improvements.

The way I think about maintenance is as follows: prorate the cost of tires each year based upon a replacement plan that you are comfortable with, check with a tire dealer for approximate prices and plan replacement based on the age of the tires currently on the coach. My tires are fairly lightly loaded and I'm comfortable with maximum life of 9 years, others will use a shorter life. Fluid and filter changes can be planned again on a schedule based on how old they are. I pay $20/gallon (6 gallons needed for my engine) for oil and a similar amount for a filter and then change it myself.

The age and condition of the coach will be the primary determinant of what will need to be dealt with on an on=going basis. As you look at coaches I would focus on the amount of rust on the metal parts and the amount of stiffness or cracking of the rubbery parts. If you are looking at a 2 stroke diesel I've been told to expect the need for an in-frame overhaul at about 250,000 miles (for my 6 cylinder the cost was $5500 and I'm now good for as long as I can possibly use it). It really helps to have someone familiar with the coach and drivetrain give you an assessment. I assumed that based upon being experienced as an aircraft and general farm mechanic that a diesel motorhome would be a cakewalk, it wasn't. I've had to learn a lot to keep up and thanks to this group I've been successful.

So in summary; age and condition of the coach together with DIY or hiring it done will determine your annual maintenance costs.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote