Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Michelin 365 tire upgrade newell and prevost coaches?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
rheavn

Each coach cost can be different based on the coach year. The least expensive sounds like what little afrench45 is having done which is 2 new wider aluminum wheels, 2 new 365 Michelin tires AND 2 new wider and repainted front fender skirts.

On my coach the 365 tire upgrade was $5800. I would get everything above plus my coach has 1 1/16" wheel studs that have to be machined down to 7/8" and rethreaded. The machining is $2,000. Not sure why wheels could not be drilled larger. The larger studs were used for a few years. When Newell went to the independent front suspension in about late '96 or '97 the engineers felt the 1 1/16 wheel studs were needed. At some point around 2000 the Newell engineers backed the wheel studs off to 7/8". 7/8" wheel studs have been used since including 2011 coaches. At this point I can not justify the upgrade as I have weighed my coach and I am well within the 315 weight rating, I run about 63 mph normally and I keep them inflated to 130 psi. I also check the cruising temperatures when I'm on the road and seldom see temperatures above 130 psi.

Prevosts have gone to the 365s on the front and tag axle.

afrench45,
Listening to how you use your coach and the tire temps you are experiencing I think you're making a wise decision. Remember though if your front tires are needing to be replaced anyway the cost of the upgrade is cut in half, while your margin of safety is increased considerably. My advice to every one, based on personal experience, is to avoid a front end blow out at ANY cost. I have had two front end blow outs in over 30 years of motorhoming and the coach repair cost for those two blow outs is over $60,000. Makes that tire upgrade seem a lot cheaper.