Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Question about starting and stopping the engine
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
champcar50

Default Question about starting and stopping the engine

We have a 1983 Newell that my wife, myself and our two dogs are getting ready to travel to the east coast in. We have owned this coach about 18 months and are still learning about its operation. This will be our longest trip since we purchased it and drove it home from Texas a year ago Christmas. The coach was a repossesion and the dealer we purchased it from was not familar with its operation so our introduction was scimpy at best. My concern is with starting and stopping the engine. The engine is a 903 Cummins. On the right rear of the coach is a compartment that has some switches, wiring and solenoids in it. There are three switches in a row near the top of this compartment. From left to right there is a turn style switch labeled starter a toggle switch labeled safety and a toggle switch labled over ride. To start the engine the starter switch must be in the on position the safety switch is on and the over ride switch is off. To stop the engine you must turn both the ignition switch on the dash off and the starter switch in the rear off otherwise the engine continues to run. I am concerned about this if there were an accident the engine could not be shut off from the dash. I am sure this is not supposed to work this way. Can some one help me understand the function of each of these switches and what there position should be to start and stop the engine from the ignition switch on the dash? Thanks in advance for your help.
champcar50 is offline   Reply With Quote