Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Question about starting and stopping the engine
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
fulltiming

OK Jack, now we are starting to hone in on the problem. First, the Safety switch appears to be operating normally. It should ALWAYS be in the ON position for day to day operation. Always leave this ON.

It is normal for the coach to not shut down if EITHER the key OR the rear Start lever are in the ON position. I just tried it on mine. I started the coach from the front, then turned the Start lever in the rear to the ON position, then turned the key off. All the gauges shut down BUT the engine continued to run until I turned the rear Start lever back to OFF (straight up and down). However, if the engine will not start from the back with the key off or from the key with the Starter switch off, the starter is not being energized properly.

I would focus first on the start solenoid (not the starter solenoid). Verify if the start solenoid is activating from the key without the Start lever being in the ON position. I have a start solenoid in the same cabinet as the switches you are referring to. There is a single red w/black wire to activate the start solenoid. That wire goes to terminal 14 on my rear terminal board then disappears into the rear of the panel. It likely goes to the on position of the Start lever with another wire coming in from the key ignition in the front to allow the coach to start from either the rear OR the front.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote