Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - What is a '76 Classic worth with an engine problem?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Ground Control

Hi Paul, this sounds like a great project. There are a few options for the coach in reference. The V555 is a little harder to get parts for than the 3208 Cat and the Detroit 6V92. There are still parts available for the V555 or tripple nickel as some people call it. I know two people who have the V555 and they really like it and they both claim about 7-8 mpg which is no different than a new coach with tons of electronics to worry about. The engine is really basic and simple to work on, they usually run exhaust out both sides with the intake on the drivers side. My friend went with a different design air filter housing to save money on replacement filters. I know of another guy who replaced a bad V555 with a V903 which he picked up cheap with low mileage and said it was a very easy swap that gave him at least a 100 hp increase.

Paul I would say by your description that this coach would be a bargain for 14k and could be worth up to 20k and still be a bargain. Anytime you can get your hands on a Newell DP with a bad engine for under 20k and even if you invested 10k into it, you would have an awsome deal on your hands. A classic Newell with a new engine for under 30k is a steal of a deal.

Any addtional questions, please ask!