Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Size Matters (The Challanges)
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
zcasa

We had a 42'9" tag Newell for five years. Only once did I try an ill advised uturn on a road without the necessary real estate. We had to block the highway during rush hour to unhook and back up. I found that in Montana the folks wave with only one finger. Amazing the differences in friendly gestures between the States. If we had to do our experience all over again, we would have purchased a shorter Newell for reasons already stated above. While we took our share of backroads and no shoulder roads etc, we never had any other issues. The crow bar came in handy, though, to pry my hands off of the steering wheel several times upon arriving at our destination. So as Michael stated, it really is a matter of how one intends to travel and where. Once we were on a no shoulder road in TX and orange signs started showing up in the distance. The signs read "Pavement ends ahead". No place to turn around and ten miles to back up, we unhooked and went straight ahead with a damn the torpedos attitude. The mud stuck to the Coach and for three miles I thought this was going to be it. But, we got through it by staying in the ruts and were able to clean the Coach. That was the scariest time that we had.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote