Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Window Replacement Options - Slanted to Rectangular
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
encantotom

hi,

i replaced the windows in my coach last year. i used the penninsula double pane series 1800 windows. they are quite pricey, but they are the best priced and highest quality ones out there. they treat you very nice there as well.

a few things...

mine was already rectangular, so i did not change the shape of the windows. that said, at least on mine, it would have been quite a bit of work to change the shape of the windows. there is a square aluminum tubing that is sandwiched between the aluminum skin and the interior plywood. you would have to drill that out (riveted) and put another one in and rivet it in as well. the rivets are only on the inside on mine through the plywood into the tubular frame. i am guessing the skin on the outside is glued to the tube frame as there are no rivets because they would stop the window from sealing on the outside. the rivets are recessed on the inside.

like michael said, the biggest thing is going to be if there are exterior skin rivets in line with where you would want to cut out for the new windows. i am guessing that will not be a problem given there are no rivets in that plane on the diagonal now.

as for wiring, i dont think that will be a problem. the other thing is getting the windows measured correctly. you want to minimize the amount of trim painting that you do on the outside after replacing the windows.

if you do replace them, contact me and i will give you the hints and tips on what i learned on putting mine in. i did have to do some slight filing of at least one window opening. also, i have some tricks on caulking the oustside to seal them up that i learned the hard way.

you should get a bid on windows and see if you really want to spend that much money. i had to replace one of mine due to damage, so it was not a choice other than do i do all or just one. since they look different, i chose to do all of them.

btw, i did 8 windows and did not replace the drivers and passenger front windows since it would have required taking the dash off on the drivers side and that is not for the fainthearted. so, i opted to totally rebuild them with new materials. they work almost like new now. for some reason i had double pane penninsula glass windows on the front and single pane another brand for the rest.

i love the new windows and they are quiet and easy to use.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote