Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Tech Talk Archives 2
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #38
Neweller

A
500 2/4/2002 6:28:59 PM 2/9/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com 1978 Newell purchase Dear Pat,
We have recently purchased a 79 Newell 38 1/2 with a Detroit 6V92 (non turbo) and Allison 5 speed. We paid top dollar but it is in exceptional condition. Even so, it surprising what all is needed, just to get it baselined before we venture too far from home. We had previously looked at a 73 with a Cummins 555. Also a 82 with a Cummins 903. After talking to Cummins, we passed on the 555 because they are hard to get parts for. Other owners have also relayed that they are underpowered. The cost of an engine swap is prohibitive - so you want to get one with an engine you can live with. The 903 Cummins has plenty of power and parts are somewhat more available. We went for the 6V92DD. They are more complex and noisy - but seem to be the most popular (from a service standpoint). If in good shape, they will last a long time. Bottom line - we would rather have an older Newell - than a much newer fiberglass coach. They have the potential of being a 'classic' - sort of like a '57 Chevy. They always draw a crowd. Success on your efforts.
Rich Farr
toptin@aol.com
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote