Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Engine Batteries acting like they are weak
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #34
Summersgal

Default Starter

Thanks Tom,

Yes I read your post and could of wrote it word for word except the part with your daughter helping you. We drove to Mexico beach and back and everything was fine, 3 days later I went out to move the coach into our storage building and it would not even turn over. I flipped the merge switch and the starter solenoid would just click. I checked the starter batteries and they showed about 3/4 charged, house batteries were fine. I put the big charger on them and still nothing, it acted like the starter was hung up. I proceeded to remove the starter when the rain started. I had to get a 3 foot cheater just to get the bolts broke loose, by now the rain is running down the side of the coach pretty good and pouring on my backside and legs while I am hunkered over kneeling on top of the starter batteries. I finally get the beast off and take it into the shop, this is when I noticed the nut on the positive post of the starter solenoid which actually goes into the side of the starter was loose. I had not touched this nut during removal. I tightened the nut, hooked the starter to an old tweleve volt battery and it turned fine. At this point I wanted to cry thinking WHY did I not check this when it was still attached tot the engine, I was soaking wet and thought I had just removed this thing for nothing. I went back out in the rain and installed the starter back. I tried to start the coach, it would turn over, but not very fast. I hooked up the big charger (thinking I had drained the batteries while attempting to start the coach earlier. After five minutes of charging, the coach started and I moved it into the building out of the rain. Since that time, I have replaced both starter batteries, cleaned all the cables, verified a good ground, verified the batteries are getting charged from both the on board charger and the alternator. The coach will start just fine when merged with the house batteries, the starter batteries alone will not start the coach. Sunday morning I read your post about the fuse and again thought (crap), I went out and checked it too make sure that was not the problem, it checked good. We started the coach (with the merge on) drove 20 miles, engine up to 180 degrees. I shut off the coach and it restarted fine with just the starter batteries. It started twice and that was it, the starter batteries did not have enough power to start it a third time. Flipped the merge switch and it started fine. This is what had led me to believe the starter was pulling two much current and knocking the starter batteries to their knees.

Jeff
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote