Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Walking sticks for exercise?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Flydrifter

While on a weeklong Geology field trip last week, and hiking into and climbing over a lot of outcrops, I noticed a couple of guys using the poles for stability on some steep rocky areas. First evening I ran to WalMart, as I had previously noticed walking sticks hanging in the camping supply area, picked up a couple of really nice telescoping poles (unfortunately made in China, but only $20 for 2 or, $15 for one). My main focus was to use them for stability on steeper grades. I was amazed at the increased speed I maintained on the hikes. At 63 I had at least 10-30 years age on most of the other participants, and had ended up falling to the back of the pack on the longer hikes. Later in the week, while using the poles and the above mentioned techniques (in a novice sort of way), I found myself in the front 1/3 of the pack, I am a believer.

If you want to try it out, the cheap-O poles seem to work great. I may get some better poles if these don't stand up long term, but in a pinch, or if just wanting to try it out, I would highly recommend them.

Ray Penick

1996 Newell #420
Tulsa, Ok
'96 #420 Newell 45'
Tulsa, OK
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote