Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Questions from a Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
77newell

Jeff makes a good point. I would guess I've invested about $3000 per year in maintenance while doing most of the work (except the in-frame overhaul). I've spent hundreds of hours on repairs and improvements, so at a shop rate of $100/hour I'd have spent at least another $2000-3000 per year if I had hired a shop to do it. As I've gotten on top of the previously deferred maintenance I've seen my costs come down but it took the better part of a decade. If you were to buy a coach like mine is currently and hire the maintenance done it wouldn't surprise me that you would still end up in the $3000/year range averaged over several years.

Even with our current maintenance costs and while accounting for depreciation, fuel, insurance and storage we need to use it at least 90 days a year to break even compared to staying in hotels and traveling by car. If I've done the calculations reasonably well it would be far longer for you to break even. This is why Jeff referred to it as a lifestyle choice. Even if I don't break even economically I come out far ahead in better sleep, healthier eating and a more relaxing environment.

We are writing this not to discourage you but rather that we help you make an informed decision.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote