Luxury Coach Lifestyles - View Single Post - Winter Storage
Thread: Winter Storage
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
fulltiming

Jennifer, it is desirable to drive your coach monthly and run the generator while you are driving with a load on it. However, if you can't actually drive the coach far enough to actually get the fluids all up to normal operating temperature, it is best to just leave it without starting it.

Try to fill the diesel tanks before you store it to reduce algae and mold formation.

If you KNOW that the heat will not go off at the facility and allow the coaches to drop below freezing, I would not drain the water heater although draining the fresh and waste hold tanks would be appropriate.

Give the coach a good run of at least 20-30 miles and run the generator with at least a 1/2 load on it before putting it in storage. That will be good for the engine, transmission, differential, generator, tires, brakes, the whole works.

Many diesel tractors sit all winter without starting.

To be the most confident that the batteries will not run down, remove the ground wires if you are not going to be there for months at a time. At the least, turn off both the chassis and house battery switches as you mentioned.

If your batteries are sealed, no problem, otherwise, make sure that they are topped off with distilled water before your last 20-30 mile run so they can be fully charged up.

I hate even the thought of putting a coach away for the winter but then I have always lived in areas where there were nice days/weeks during the winter also. One of the advantages of living south of the 35th parallel.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote