Tech Talk Archives 1 - Page 5 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #81
Neweller

Q
162 12/3/2000 8:37:55 AM 12/3/2000 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Length & Year of Coach Could the coach length and year be included in the Newell owners directory? Owners could then contact others with the same type of coach.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #82
Neweller

Q
163 12/3/2000 8:46:01 AM 12/3/2000 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com TechTalk Longevity How long will a message remain on the TechTalk list? If a message is of lasting value (i.e. a maintenance tip or the Newell recommendation for oil type) could it be moved to a reference type of list?

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #83
Neweller

Q
164 12/3/2000 2:32:07 PM 12/3/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com CD Player The newsletter you reference discussed using the "shuffle" command to play selections from all of the CDs loaded in the changer in random order, rather than going through the CDs and their individual selections in order. The "shuffle" feature is very popular with owners who have learned to use it. However, from your description, you have another situation. It sounds like the changer has a problem. Of course, if you have the original operating manual for the changer, the instructions should be reviewed to see if CDs one through five can be selected to play, excluding six through ten. But we do not recall such a feature on the changers we have used.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #84
Neweller

A
165 12/3/2000 2:57:41 PM 12/4/2000 Karl Blade KarlB@newellcoach.com TechTalk Longevity So far, we have deleted no messages once posted to TechTalk. If the format eventually becomes clumsy because of the number of subjects, we will look into some form of archiving system within our web site.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #85
Neweller

A
166 12/3/2000 3:04:02 PM 12/4/2000 Newell sales sales@newellcoach.com Length & Year of Coach So far, the owners directory has been limited to address, phone number, e-mail address, etc. We have a sense that expanding the information beyond what is already listed would raise some privacy issues. In addition, this type of information tends to become dated within the year or two between updates. Our suggestion would be to use the TechTalk message board to solicit information from owners of similar model year and size coaches.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #86
Neweller

A
167 12/3/2000 3:58:57 PM 12/4/2000 Jim Crall jlc@iland.net Suggestions on engine replacement I have A 381/2 ft. 1977 Newell. It had a Cummins 555 engine in it, and the crankshaft failed resulting in major damage. With the 555 engine, the coach was underpowered when driving up hills and mountains were almost impossiable.
I am considering putting a Cummins ISC 350 H.P. with an Allison M3066 trans. in it. Would you advise me if this is a good choice, would I have plenty of mountain power,could I use my original trans.( I believe is an Allison 643 ), what about my gear ratio. Please give me any information you can regarding the best engine replacment with plenty of power. If there is anyone out there who has made an engine and/or transmission upgrade, please let me know what you have and if you are pleased with the results.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #87
Neweller

Q
168 12/4/2000 12:57:56 PM 12/4/2000 K.H. 'Ki' Punilei khpaladin@aol.com Merge Switch and Solenoid In researching the electrical system our '81 40' coach I
note that the merge switch on the dash is ON-OFF-ON type
rather than ON-OFF. Investigation found a white/orange wire
on the up position contacts and a red/white on the down position contacts. It was also found there are front and rear merge solenoids that energize when either ON position
is thrown.

First - Why are there two merge solenoids? Maybe two
separate merge senerios, e.g. house to chassis batteries
when hooked to shore power versus off engine alternator
when running.
Second - What is the correct wiring? According to the
Front Terminal Panel list the White/orange wire is the
Battery Merge and the Red/white wire is the Main Diesel
Tank level.

I wish to compliment all the Newell personnel for a job
well done. My redhead and I bought our '81 coach in '98
after researching the market for about 18 months. We both
were impressed with the quality of the coach and the superb
help of your service, parts, engineering, and office people.

Best Regards

Ki and the 'Redhead'

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #88
Neweller

Q
169 12/4/2000 9:58:56 PM 12/5/2000 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org bay door water leaks I have had a continuing problem of water leaks in my 1983 Newell. I know the bay doors were engineered differently in later years and this apparently solved the problem. I have installed new weatherstrip material but suspect the water comes through the hinge. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #89
Neweller

Q
170 12/5/2000 5:22:40 PM 12/6/2000 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Backup System I have an Intec "Car Vision System" in my 1983 Newell and keep blowing a fuse on the hot side wire. There must be a short somewhere but I can't figure it out. Where can I find a contact for Intec to locate someone in my geographical area (Oregon) who can trouble shoot my system? I really don't know where to turn! Thanks!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #90
Neweller

Q
171 12/6/2000 8:36:06 AM 12/6/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Backup System Your best source for trouble shooting this problem is the Intec Technical Support and Customer Service Department at 1-800-468-3254. They are located in Laguna Hills, California. If possible before you call, remove the monitor from the dash and make note of the model number and serial number located on the back. This will assist the Intec technician to trouble shoot your problem.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #91
Neweller

A
172 12/6/2000 8:53:42 AM 12/6/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Smoking Tires The solonoid valves which control the air leveling systems weaken over time and eventually will fail. Therefore, we suggest replacement of the "mode" valve every few years, and the other valves on an as needed basis. You may also wish to upgrade to the later model system we began using in 1990. The cost of the upgrade, parts and labor, is about $1200.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #92
Neweller

A
173 12/6/2000 9:51:41 AM 12/6/2000 Tech Talk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Suggestions on engine replacement We urge caution. A coach repower is a complicated and expensive project. A new engine and transmission package "in the crate" could easily cost about $50,000. In addition, many issues would require resolution, including providing increased cooling capacity to handle the extra power. A more powerful engine may be physically larger and not fit within the space available, so frame or body modifications may be required. We expect that the labor costs will be both substantial and difficult to predict with accuracy. You might wish to take the substantial amount of money that could be involved and put it toward a trade for a later model coach, perhaps a 475 - 500 hp 8V92 powered Newell from the mid-1980s or later.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #93
Neweller

A
174 12/6/2000 11:14:04 AM 12/7/2000 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Merge Switch and Solenoid The Newell battery merge system has been used in its current form for over 25 years. The merge system uses a single solenoid located on the rear panel. BECAUSE A SOLENOID WEAKENS OVER TIME AND USE AND EVENTUALLY FAILS, WE RECOMMEND THAT THE MERGE SOLENOID BE REPLACED ANNUALLY. The single control switch on the dash has three positions. The center position is "off," while both the up or down positions are for merging through the solenoid. In this way, the batteries can be merged by the solenoid powered by either bank of batteries. Otherwise, if the solenoid was powered by only one battery bank, and this was the battery bank that was discharged, the solenoid switch would not close and would not merge the batteries. The wires powering the two sides of the switch are (power from engine batteries) red with a white stripe and (power from house batteries) orange with a black stripe. The single wire to send power from the switch to the solenoid is white with an orange stripe. On a 1981 model, you will probably find the two source wires on the front fuse block in positions 17 and 18, and the wire from the switch to the solenoid on the front terminal board in position 23.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #94
Neweller

A
176 12/8/2000 7:51:48 AM 12/8/2000 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Toilet The toilet in my Newell is not operating properly. I have replaced air/water cycle valve, but still have to plung toilet after using toilet paper. The timer has been adjusted anywhere from 3-7 seconds. This does not correct the problem.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #95
Neweller

Q
177 12/8/2000 7:57:10 AM 12/8/2000 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Windows My coach windows have begun to leak, mostly while driving. Can they be repaired? Also, is it normal for rivet heads to come off on sides?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #96
Neweller

Q
178 12/8/2000 1:06:19 PM 12/8/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Toilet From your comments, it appears your coach is equipped with a Microphor RV toilet. However, we do not have enough information to speculate on a diagnosis. We suggest that you call the Microphor customer support department at 1-800-358-8280, ext. 122 and describe your situation in more detail. Microphor provides very good direct customer support.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #97
Neweller

A
179 12/8/2000 1:25:34 PM 12/8/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com bay door water leaks The piano hinge along the top edge of the door has a gasket the is squeezed between the two sides of the hinge when the door is closed. This gasket may be deteriorated and need to be replaced. Also, the door frame is secured by rivets which require sealer to prevent leaks. This sealer may have deteriorated through the years and require renewel.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #98
Neweller

A
180 12/8/2000 2:11:56 PM 12/8/2000 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Windows There are a variety of causes for windows beginning to leak with age. The window frames may require new caulking. The felt along which the windows slide may be worn. The drain holes along the bottom edge of the frames may be plugged, causing the channels to fill with water and overrun. We suggest that you have an experienced RV technician diagnose and make the repairs required.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #99
Neweller

A
181 12/8/2000 9:55:37 PM 12/9/2000 Samuel P. Ryan samuelpryan@aol.com Pre-Owned Newell Coach An open solicitation to purchase a '94-'96 Newell Coach. I reside in the Dallas, TX area, and am interested in talking to you about your coach.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #100
Neweller

Q
183 12/10/2000 7:41:14 AM 12/10/2000 otto burleson otto@spinn.net Pre-Owned Newell Coach Is Tech Talk really a place to run want adds? I doubt it.Is this service, provided by Newell Coach, a place for want adds in competition to Newell sales force?

-Bob Marley