Taking a peak at a Newell tonight!!! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
CoachCrazy

Default Taking a peak at a Newell tonight!!!

I wanted to let y'all know I'm taking a peak at a used newell tonight and to be honest I'm not sure what questions I should ask the owner and what to check out.

Check list as of right now which is not much sorry.

Tires
Engine( Started when cold)
Generator

Really that is all I can think of at the moment. I know There is a lot more but my brain is going in 10 different places at once right now so I NEED SOME ASSISTANCE PLEASE! What are some important Q's to ask and parts on the Newell to check prior to making a deal if this is the one.

Chris

CoachCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
The Newell

Hi Chris,

Not doing a comprehensive and thorough inspection is not a guarantee that you will buy a bad coach. Conversely doing a comprehensive and thorough inspection will not be an absolute guarantee that you will buy a trouble free coach... But the odds increase in your favor the more comprehensive and thorough the inspection is...

The inspection process for a used coach needs to be much more comprehensive and thorough than buying a new coach.. You have to do all the things you would be normally doing for a new coach such as insuring everything works.. But in the case of a used coach you have to understand and calibrate the effect of use and time and understand the maintenance history as well.. A checklist and a note pad to record observations during the inspection process will insure that the inspection is thorough, systematic and that you will not lose track of what you find..

There are multiple areas that will need to be inspected.. The chassis and running gear including tires, suspension components, the house itself focusing on general condition, all of the added components such as air conditioners, refrigerator, heating, hot water heater leveling system and the like. Another area to be looked at as well would be the generator, batteries, and inverter/converter if applicable. Unless you feel comfortable as to your qualifications to perform a thorough inspection then you might want to get some help either in the form of a knowledgeable friend or hire a professional to do the inspection...

You will need to inspect the wear components such as brakes and tires and the life span components such as shocks, suspension components, hoses, belts, seals, batteries and tires.

If the coach has not been in continual usage there will be the added potential of problems with dry rot and compromised components relative to fuel delivery..

You will also want to post questions and do searches to gain insight to any of the particular high probability areas of concerns that are unique or specific to model years.

Starting with the house, you will want to look for any signs of water leakage, delaminating, as well as roof condition and integrity. The doors ( including bay doors) should be inspected that they open and shut easily and securely, and that all the locking mechanism work. Windows seals should be inspected and in the case of dual pane window that the inner seal has not failed, any cloudiness is a red flag. You will want to insure that all awnings are in good repair by opening and stowing taking note of any signs of wear.. Awing should open and close easily, excessive sloppiness is another red flag.

You will also want to insure that all cabinet doors and drawers will open and securely latch when closed. Check the alignment of interior doors.. Then if equipped level the coach and note any changes especially in the alignment of interior doors including the shower door. Significant changes when leveled should be a concern.

Inspect the batteries for signs of bulging or corrosion.

Inspect for evidence of routine maintenance

Air bags look for dry rot and signs of leakage

Look for signs of dry rot on belts and hoses

Run generator under load for a period of time difficulty in starting and surging is a red flag

Make sure that the refrigerator operates and will cool in all modes

Check the outlet temperatures of the dash and roof air conditioner

If the unit is equipped with slides in addition to insuring that they will extend and retract check the alignment of the slide with the side of the coach when fully retracted.. Slider problems are often preceded by signs of miss alignment. when retracted the slide should look the same in reference to the coach opening on all four corners. While your at it learn how and then do the manual retract operation...

Insure that the hot water and furnace are operating properly

If possible get the coach weighed and match that against the GVWR rating to understand what your CCC will be.

One last area to think about has to do with documentation such as Owners manuals wiring and plumbing schematics and diagrams... Make sure you get them...You will need them... Try to get as thorough understanding as you can about where things are... Have the person you are buying from demonstrate or explain dumping procedures, water system, winterizing... Knowing where all the fuses, switches, valves are located and what they do... may save you some headaches ...

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
CoachCrazy

I wanted to update y'all. After checking out the Newell it was a little more work then I have time for at the moment which means I will keep looking. My other question is I'm looking at an '86 Newell with an 8V92 engine. Do they have the "silver" engine? Is it important to have? What's the difference between the pre-silver and the silver engine? what engine series would a 1986 newell come standard with. I have yet to ask the owner but while searching online for 8V92 I found they manufactured 2 types pre silver and silver.

Chris
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
MrE

I'm pretty sure that all 86's came with a 475hp Silver TA that is pre-DDEC.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
CoachCrazy

Jon,

What does pre-DDEC mean? sorry, not that knowledgeable on a lot of terms.

I'm still new at this,

Chris
Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
MrE

Sorry, I work with computers where everything is done in acronyms. DDEC is an acronym for Detroit Diesel Electronic Controls. This is where they started using pewters to help the motor run more efficiently.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
The Newell

The 8V92 Silver engines began with serial number F73594
The 6V92 Silver engines began with serial number F83425

Any serial number after those above would be a silver engine. Production of the silver began in 1982.

Hope this helps,

Joseph

-Joseph-
Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
The Newell

Sorry I forgot to put this in my previous post since I had a brain fart IMHO You really want a silver 92 and nothing else. DD had many issues with the pre silver motor and they were all expensive to fix unless the price is right just run it and once it dies replace it with a newer and better engine but again its really up to you.

-Joseph-
Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
CoachCrazy

Thanks for the quick reply's you guys rock! At this point I am still searching for the right Newell.

Chris
Old 09-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
bigcatwally

Chris, searching for the right Newell can take time. But from the looks of it you are asking the right questions and have been getting some helpful answers. In no time you should be set! We look forward to your future purchase. If you have further questions ask, ask, ask! There are so many great folks here to help.

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote