tire choices - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
prarieschooner

Default tire choices

I will need to purchase new tires for the '82 38' Classic. The current tires are BRIDGESTONE 11R22.5 Load Range G, 14P. They are at least 5 years old and show weather checking. I am not familiar with tires of this type so some shared knowledge would be appreciated because this will not be cheap.
The Goodyear Tire Shop in Yuma gave me prices on the Hankook ALO7 and the Goodyear G395 LHS. There is quite a difference in price but what about the value? This makes me question all of the Brands, Clarke chose Cooper and seems happy.
First let me ask what type of tire I should be looking at, Highway on the front and Highway or Traction on the rear. Currently the Coach has the same tires front and rear Highway or Steer type (if I am correct about the designation).
Once this is decided I would think that a smooth ride would be important to not beat the Coach up when traveling. Next would be a concern on mileage, trying to save a few bucks on the tires and loosing $$ as I head down the road doesn't make good sense. Good Traction is going to be important as well in case I am caught in the rain. I am sure that I will need to make some sacrifices but I would like to know why so I can make an educated decision.
I do not expect to be traveling in Snow but may need to in the Rain. In the next 5 years I will be traveling in relatively good weather with expected shorter trips.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

First of all you want steer tires or all purpose on both front and rear. You do not want a "traction" tire on the rear for two reasons. One, its LOUD, and two you want to be able to rotate it to the front if needed. I wouldn't worry about traction in the rain. 20 tons seems to squeeze the water out of the tread just fine :-) If you are concerned about fuel mileage related to tires, I do believe we are talking sublte differences. You can make much more difference in your mileage with your right foot.

Some one posted in another forum the other day commenting on mileage. He said "complaining about fuel mileage on a diesel RV is like marrying Dolly Parton and complaining she can't cook"

Two, given your axle weights you want to make sure the tire rating will at least support the axle rating.

How much do you anticipate driving per year? Why? Cause in most cases it's immaterial whether a tire lasts for 40K or 70K on a moho, since they age out long before we accumulate that kind of mileage.

I personally am a fan of Michelin XZE tires, but they are expensive. I have Bridgestones on my rig now, and have been perfectly happy with them.

You might want to think about going up to H load range and being able to run them at a lower pressure for a more cushy ride.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
prarieschooner

Thanks for the advice Richard, I do not expect to put enough miles to wear out a set of tires for a while if ever. Steer Tires it is.
The Michelins were expensive. The prices I got were about $2,400 for the Hankooks and $2,900 for the Goodyears this is over a 20% difference. I would just like to know why I should look at one over the other, besides the $$$.
After looking at the literature for both of these manufacturers I was humbled, it made me want to get a few recommendations prior to shopping.
Steve
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
encantotom

Smile

ok, on tires i have to give my two cents worth. i am like richard and i know michael and i love michelin tires. having said that, i replaced all my tires last summer before my big trip with Continental HSL tires.

my tire guy, who i trust, talked me out of the more expensive michelin's,

i have no regrets.

i have the 11r24.5 HSL load range H tires on all wheels and they ride and drive smooth as silk. i will never wear my tires out.

money no object, i buy the michelins (not so sure now after having the Continentals), money an object, i have had great luck with the Continentals.

here is the spec sheet. it give the load weights.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...a_sheet_en.pdf

i called my guy and he wasnt there, so a guy who doesnt know me gave me the off the street price of $460 each for 11r22.5 HSL load range H. for the tire, mounting, spin balance and all taxes. make sure on the price you have it counts all taxes, disposal fees, mounting, SPIN balancing, new valve stems, FET tax, etc as they all add up.

i believe they can be had a little cheaper than that with a little negotiating. i couldnt find any tire guy that would give me any money for a tire over 5 years old. for the two of mine that were under 5 years he gave me a very fair trade in price.

so, that is my experience. take it for what it is worth....not much other than to me.

tire advice is like advice on how salty to make something....

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
prarieschooner

Both of your advice is well taken. Looks like I should at least look at the Continentals. My concern is a good tire when this is all over with, I'd hate to have to look at Saint Peter and try to explain why I saved a few bucks and then showed up at the Pearly Gates.
PS When I was younger I was interested primarily in looks, now I would rather have someone who can cook.
Steve
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
tuga

Steve,

Before you buy any tires, give Newell Coach a shot on the price. You may be pleasantly surprised. They buy a lot of tires, and I have heard that Newellies can get a pretty good deal. Of course, you have to drive to Miami to get them - but hey it's always fun to look at the used coaches for sale on the lot! Another thing is that I have learned something everytime I have driven up there; either from the service staff or from customers in for service.

They also have good prices on AGM batteries!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
prarieschooner

Thanks for the advice but I wouldn't trust the current tires that far and besides I need to go to work to pay for this new adventure.
Steve
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
encantotom

here is the load/inflation tables for the continental tires.

has the full range of sizes and inflations with corresponding load limits.

tom

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...les_pdf_en.pdf

Old 01-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Wally Arntzen

Default tires

I would sure look at the michelins or bridgestones as the first choice. Give Newell a call and see what they say. You can cut costs on lights finish items and many other areas but I would not have cost be a factor on tires.
Tires are the one item that will put action real quick and quality is important.

That is my opinoin and I'm sticking with it.

Good luck, Wally Arntzen
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
encantotom

as wally points out, the tires you buy should be the ones you feel comfortable with.

tom

Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
chockwald

Never good to go by price alone. Since there is no way I am going to run the tires enough to exceed the mileage warranty I wasn't looking for the highest mileage, but used that as an indicator of the quality of tire. I chose a mid tier tire that suited my usage plans for the next 5 years. I'm happy with my choice. The ride is significantly better than I had with the 7+ year old Goodyears. When I begin to travel full time and my annual mileage increases then I might make a different choice, however, I'll have 5 years to see how the Coopers perform overall.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
encantotom

hi,

i love a good tire discussion. it really gets the emotions going. i go to china quite a few times a year. the largest tire manufacturer there is Hankook. they are on the bus and trucks there.

so, just like lucky goldstar and samsung were not brands people wanted to buy 15 years ago, LG and Samsung are high quality ones here now.

so far, we have people in the last few days loving michelin, cooper, contiental, bridgestone. all saying they ride smooth and they were the right mix of quality and price for them.

fun stuff.

i asked a bus shop service manager what tire he preferred. they have close to a hundred charter bus units he takes care of. he wasnt strongly opinioned and it seemed to be more of an economic decision. of course shops like theirs do tire leasing rather than purchasing...

later

tom

Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
chockwald

Well, I don't know if I'm "in love" with my Coopers, but we are certainly "going steady".....right now I'm "in like" with them...LOL!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
prarieschooner

I would like to say this again, I don't want to have to explain to Saint Peter why I am at the Pearly Gates early and have to say that I tried to save a few bucks so here I am.
So lets put Hankook out there for discussion. They are not the cheapest tire, I think that the Dyna-Trac was so far. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with them?
The Continentals and the Goodyears are similar in price but is one better than the other?

Steve
Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #15
Richard and Rhonda

If you can wade through the typical uninformed people with strong opinions, there are two posters on this thread that actually put Hankooks on big rigs. You might try PM'ing them to see what they think. http://rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseac...d/20005578.cfm
CoMotion Tandem
Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #16
prarieschooner

thanks,
Steve
Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
tuga

An email to Newell Coach might be in order. They have more experience with tires than most of us ever will.

I know that they had some trouble with one brand a few years back, but I can't remember which brand. I believe it was front tire blow outs on coaches with a front slide out.

Currently, they use Michelin tires.

1 888 9NEWELL
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Richard and Rhonda

Steve, you might want to read this thread also.

An endorsement of Hankook from a fleet bus operator at the bottom of page one. I'm a member of this forum, so if you want me to PM him for you I will

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/in...p?topic=7188.0
CoMotion Tandem
Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
prarieschooner

Thanks Richard but I believe that my questions have been answered. Everyone has their own thoughts on tires and there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus. I do have enough of an education now to at least know what to look for an what questions to ask.
Tuga, please do not misunderstand me because I mean no disrespect but I was looking for advice from those with experience, not an OEM Tire. While Newell is a great resource, I was looking for advice from those that I have come to respect.
I may get the Michelins if I can see a reason to spend the $$$ on them and then I may simply get the Hankooks, Bridgestone, Cooper, Goodyear, Continental, etc., I just don't know until I get to compare all of them.
Thanks again Guys,
PS, I sold my 1947 Studebaker M16 1 1/2 Ton Truck the other day so I bought the Batteries. My choice here was Exide for the Starting and Trojan T-105 for the House and I know why I made these choices. The Cash for the Tires is in an envelope labeled "Tires" making the decision one that is not decided an the cost but one that I feel will give me the best value.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
fulltiming

Steve, I think what Tuga was referring to is Newell's sometimes painful experience with replacing tires that didn't hold up well over the years. Rather than trying to paraphrase the expert, here is a quote from Karl Blade, Owner of Newell:

Quote:
Certainly, we have had years of experience at the factory observing the performance of a variety of tire brands and sizes on Newells. The bottom line: don't put reliance solely on the rated capacity when selecting new tires.

From the mid-70s through 1985, Newell installed 11R22.5 Michelin steel belted radial tires with excellent results. With the upgrade to the 8V92 engine in 1985, we began fitting 11R24.5 radials, load range H, most of which were Goodyears (owing to the influence of our customer Roger Penske and his experience with Goodyears on the race track as well as with Hertz Penske truck rental). Once again, the results were excellent. We later switched to Bridgestones to get more even tread wear, but both brands performed very well.

In the early 1990s, we realized we were seeing some fully loaded front axle weights that were bumping up around the rated capacity of the tires, expecially with fully timers who carried an entire house worth of gear. However, with the exception of some failures that appeared linked to underinflation and very high speed cruising, these tires gave good service and were very reliable. The actual capacity appeared to be significantly higher than the rated capacity assigned by the tire manufacturer. Ditto for the wheels.

In 1997 we introduced our first slide-outs and front axle weight took an upward bump. We took another look at the tire situation and saw that we could increase the rated front axle capacity if we changed to 315 load range L "low profile" tires, initially on the steer axle only. We made the change, upgrading our "rated capacity." But in spite of the increased capacity on paper, we immediately began experiencing a pattern of steer axle tire failure. We experienced problems with both Bridgestone and Goodyear tires in the 315 size. We went through several successive tire models with Goodyear, each promised to solve the problem, but without relief until finally changing new production to Michelin with good results. In fact, we were so concerned about the failures we were seeing with Bridgestone and Goodyear that we did a NHTSA reported recall and replaced all the Bridgestone and Goodyear 315s (regardless of mileage) with new Michelins.

Since changing to the 315 Michelins, front tire failures declined and the few we have seen appear to be related to the following factors, often in combination:

1) Underinflation. The 315 should be inflated to a minimum of 130 psi, and we recommend 140 psi for summer high speed crusing.
2) Speed. The Michelin 315 tire model installed should be rated at 75 mph (some models are rated at 55 mph maximum!), and the speed restriction should be observed.
3) Road hazard damage. We recently saw a tire failure caused by a cut on the tread that allowed moisture to rust the steel belt over a few months until the tread separated at highway speed.
4) Age. Tires deteriorate from a variety of age related causes, including UV rays and undetected road hazard damage. We recommend that steer axle tires be replaced at three years. Cheap insurance.

Based on our experience, coaches running 11R24.5 load range H front tires need not be "upgraded" to 305 tires to simply get more rated capacity. However, for both coaches running 11R24.5 tires and later model coaches running 315 low profile tires, we recommend that the front tires be replaced every three years regardless of miles, be kept properly inflated, and excessive speeds be avoided. The tires should be inspected reguarly for damage. For the 315 tires, we recommend Michelins with a speed rating of 75 mph.
Hopefully that gives you some additional information for your decision making process.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote