It's Not Easy to Buy a Newell These Days - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
prestadude

Default It's Not Easy to Buy a Newell These Days

I am deliriously happy to announce that I have purchased a Newell (2000, 45', single bedroom slide, Coach #541) and will pick it up in little more than a week. With my son just starting college, I was not planning on making such a purchase until after he graduated, but the deals on used RVs are so good that I decided to buy now rather than wait.

The financial environment now is crazy (not that I need to tell anyone). In spite of having a high FICO score with a big down payment (55&#37, I really had to hunt for a bank that would give me a loan. There were two problems, the age of the coach and the fact that it is a Newell. Banks turned me down for the following reasons:
  • Coach is too old (2000, 9 years by my math)
  • Rig has too many miles (77,500 or about 8,600/year, not much for a big diesel)
  • Newell is not listed in NADA (I ran into this a lot)
The broker helping me find a bank finally found one (Sun Trust in Texas) but because there was no NADA listing, we had to establish value using comps, just like real estate. Of course I recommended Newellclassic.com and Newellcoach.com as good sources. After jumping through several hoops, the last one was the need for an inspection to verify value. Fortunately I already had an inspection done (RV Smart in Gilbert, AZ) and the bank accepted that.

Insurance was similar in that we had to use comps to establish value (the NADA thing again).

Well, I sign the loan papers on Thursday and then the coach is mine. Early this summer I will travel to Startracks in Illinois to add some handicapped equipment for my wife (she can't climb the steps and refuses to sleep in the compartments). On the way back, I plan on stopping at Newell in Miami. At a minimum they will put on new tires (they quoted a very good price for Michelins) and will redo the anti-chip coating on the front of the coach (the existing 3M film is heavilly crazed and looks terrible). Newell doesn't use 3M film anymore, they utilize a spray-on product.

What else should I have them do/look at? I was thinking checking the alignment and other suspension items makes sense since they designed and built the frame.

Anyhow, I can't tell you how excited I am and look forward to participating in the next mini-rally.

prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Woo Hoo !!!!!! Glad you found the one you wanted. We all look forward to hearing about you coach, and learning as you learn.

You might want to call Newell about the handicap access. They currently have one coach with a chair lift, and I have seen another Newell that had a complete lift and internal rail system so the person could move around in the coach. So I know they have a little experience fitting their coaches.

Tell us about the floor plan, colors, any unique features, and why this was "the" coach.

I also understand Newell has good pricing on AGM batteries if you need new house batts.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
encantotom

welcome! you said gilbert AZ.....i live in mesa which is just a few miles from gilbert. did you buy the coach that has been down in tucson?

was there another one in this area i didnt see?

if it is in the mesa/gilbert area, give me a call when you are around.

private message or email me through the site.

glad you found one....

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
zcasa

Tim and Laura:

Welcome. We already know that you are smart. Bet you have a beautiful coach that will provide you with wonderful experiences. We also took our coach to Newell after purchasing it. We had them do a 25,000 mile service and help us with how to use the systems. After three more years of experience, and two Newell Rallies, one sponsored by Newell Coach and the other a mini rally by owners, we know a lot more and are still learning, mostly through this site. Just a bunch of great owners that are willing to share their expertise. We live in CO so please pm us anytime you are coming near Denver. Love to get together.

David and Denise
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
fulltiming

I second Richards comments about checking with Newell on the handicap equipment. Even if you have someone else do the work, they can steer you in the right direction and all of the work they have done for me has been quality work at a reasonable price.

If you don't have the maintenance history on the coach, you might have Newell do the annual maintenance so you have a good baseline that oil, oil and air filters, tranny fluid/filter, and AC filters are new. If you have the maintenance history you can check it against the recommended maintenance schedule in the manual.

It will surprise me if the alignment is out of specs at 77K miles. Ask Newell to weigh your coach by tire position. That will give you a base line for tire pressures and side to side balancing of cargo.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote