Learning How To Maintain a Newell Coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Pascao

Default Learning How To Maintain a Newell Coach

I have been reading and trying to learn how to do as much maintenance as possible myself. I have purchased a fuel filter & air filter and now my challenge begins since I have to install these filters. I also purchased the Detroit Diesel 6V92 engine manual and all the other manuals I could find but they are not very good for someone that is inexperienced.

Are there any Maintenance for Dummies manuals or DVDs? Is each newell coach so different that this would be useless?

Pascao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Newell Attack

Best thing you can do is crawl under it and start looking. Most filters will be quite obvious. There is no such thing as instruction books.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
cdat

Remember to ALWAYS block the coach up before getting under it.
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
DavidBall

If you can't find the filters or how to change them, take your coach to a service center and watch them do it...ask questions and take notes or pics. This should give you an idea of if you can or want to do it yourself next time.

David
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
MiracleJ

John is correct step one should always be block your coach.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
77newell

Replacing the air filter is simply a mechanical process and as long as you get into place so that no air can sneak by you have done it right. Oil and fuel filters are a different story since they both need to be refilled prior to installing them.

I refill them by very patiently pouring the new fluid into the recess with lots of small holes on the top of the filter. Resist the temptation to pour down through the center hole as that is the one that flows directly into the engine and if you do that you will be putting unfiltered fluids through the engine. If you don't prefill the fuel filters the engine will not run, if you don't prefill the oil filter the engine will take longer to build up oil pressure as it fills the filter. I know some people don't fill the oil filter because they get heavy when filled - but only as heavy as the one you just removed.

If you have further questions please ask, there are several of us here that service our V92 engines ourselves.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
MrE

David gave you a great learning tool, if you don't know what you're doing, watch an expert perform the task and save yourself a lot of time and frustration (and possible large expenses).
Jon gave you some great advice about pre-filling your filters prior to installing them. Most people learn the hard way.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
JustDustin

It's not something you'll learn over night. When it doubt ask but for the most part it just takes time, as well as a little trial and error.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
77newell

Thankfully when working on fuel filters you don't have to crawl under the coach. One thing I forgot to mention above is what you do with the fuel filters you are removing from the coach. I have a small clean oil drain pan that I use only for dumping the the fuel out of the filters before they go in the trash. It is important to look for water that may have collected in the filters. The filter media is hydrophobic and won't allow water to pass through so any that gets that far is held in the filter. A little water is no problem though if you find some you may want to tilt your coach toward the fuel tank drain, let it settle a bit and see if any water comes out the drain when opened.

If there is no water in the fuel dumped from the filters I gently dump all but the last bit of that fuel back in the fuel tank. If I were to see any dirt I would simply dump the fuel into my recycle oil collection pails.

For safety I would suggest buying a box of nitrile disposable work gloves. Smelling of diesel may be manly but not romance inducing if you get my wiff.
2007 civic toad
Old 02-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
cdat

One thing to consider would be to go down to a diesel service center and talk to the mechanics, see if anyone is interested in a little non-taxable income showing you how to maintain the engine/ chassis. Might check the local tech college also if they have a diesel mechanic course.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
The Newell

First of all I commend you for the willingness to learn and try to do jobs that you are unfamiliar with and likely have not done before on any size vehicle.

It's not rocket science and you can do it. It does take some upper body strength and some dexterity plus a willingness to get unbelievably dirty.

Go to a store close to you and buy a cheap mechanics "creeper". This will make it easier to roll around under the coach particularly if you are parked on a hard surface. Then roll around under there with a good flashlight and look things over. Use some throw away gloves like you use at the dump so you can touch everything. Take a roll of shop towels too.

If after looking the situation over your decide you don't want to tackle it yourself first, I suggest you take a road trip to the closest Speedco. They are the quick lube place for over the road trucks. They are reasonably priced and they will allow you to go down in the pit and watch while the work is done. Let them use their filters and then you will have a set for on the road, which is always a good. Idea.

Then gather the knowledge you gained, make sure you have proper tools and next time try it yourself.

You can do this if your really serious about it. I've done mine for years. And I'm an old guy

Be sure to post and let us know how you do.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
cdat

I realize this is a touchy subject due to liability concerns, but, any thoughts on jack stands to put under the Newell, doe everybody use 20 ton jack stands, do you need 4, or can you put two under the end of the coach you're working under, will one suffice?
Thanks
john
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
MrE

Not sure what others do, but I am able to get just about everything done by turning on leveling and running each corner up as high as it will go. I am then able to comfortably cruise where ever I want on my creeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdat View Post
I realize this is a touchy subject due to liability concerns, but, any thoughts on jack stands to put under the Newell, doe everybody use 20 ton jack stands, do you need 4, or can you put two under the end of the coach you're working under, will one suffice?
Thanks
john
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
77newell

Regarding jack stands, I have sometimes used them when the wheels are off the ground and I'm messing around under parts of the coach that could flatten me if it came down off the jacks. Otherwise I use hydraulic jacks to move the coach up just a bit or to add security at its normal height with me under it. Since my 77 coach has leaf springs in the back assisted by airbags I only worry about the inch or so drop that would occur if the bags dropped pressure, that drop wouldn't flatten me but it would make it hard to get out quickly and easily.

2007 civic toad