full timing now Is Coachnet worth the extra cost? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Archie T. Hogan

Default full timing now Is Coachnet worth the extra cost?

Is the Coachnet roadside assistance worth the extra cost over Good Sam/Camping World Roadcare? On the surface, both Coachnet and the others are the same cost, but Coachnet requires you join FMCA or Escapees or Pay $145 instead of $100.

Archie T. Hogan

Full Timing( Already Started)
Archie T. Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
The Newell

Check out the following link. I know of many rver's who rave about the service. I am sure others will jump in with more opinions as well.

Hope this helps,

Joseph

Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
The Newell

I realized I did not properly answer your question about coachnet. I think it comes down to personal reference in comparison to the different companies offering road side assistance etc. Just compare them all and pick the one that fits your needs.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
lbrachfe

Have had both Good Sam and CoachNet and both are good. Coachnet saved us four seperate times and all quickly and with good people 3 out of 4 times. We were damaged the 4th time and they made sure the body repairs were paid for by the tow company
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
MrE

I had an experience last weekend with Good Sam that I wasn't to happy about, my Godson took my coach to Bonneville Speed Week with his buds to try to break the diesel land speed record with a truck running vegetable oil and broke down on the way back near Wells NV. If I would have had the roadside assistance, they would have towed it to the nearest Good Sam facility which would have been Salt Lake City, the opposite direction I wanted it to go...The local tower in Wells quoted 8-10 hours at $285 an hour, so I called Good Sam and they quoted $1750 so I said go for it. They called back an hour or so later and said that they couldn't find anyone to tow me and apologized, then told me that the $1750 charge to my credit card should be refunded by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. This happened on a Saturday...my first inclination was to ream the gal on the phone, but everything else was going so bad that I had pity on her and politely explained that I would appreciate it if she would please tell the policy makers a Good Sam that their policy sucked.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Archie T. Hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
I had an experience last weekend with Good Sam that I wasn't to happy about, my Godson took my coach to Bonneville Speed Week with his buds to try to break the diesel land speed record with a truck running vegetable oil and broke down on the way back near Wells NV. If I would have had the roadside assistance, they would have towed it to the nearest Good Sam facility which would have been Salt Lake City, the opposite direction I wanted it to go...The local tower in Wells quoted 8-10 hours at $285 an hour, so I called Good Sam and they quoted $1750 so I said go for it. They called back an hour or so later and said that they couldn't find anyone to tow me and apologized, then told me that the $1750 charge to my credit card should be refunded by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. This happened on a Saturday...my first inclination was to ream the gal on the phone, but everything else was going so bad that I had pity on her and politely explained that I would appreciate it if she would please tell the policy makers a Good Sam that their policy sucked.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Jon. Did you decide to keep their services or cancel them ? I still have not made a choice since there are a lot of companies that offer the same services all for different costs.

Full Timing( Already Started)
Archie T. Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
MrE

Archie,

I belong to Good Sam but do not have roadside assistance. I'm sure that the roadside assistance is exactly as advertised, they would have towed me to the nearest Good Sam facility just as promised.

In my case the motor seized up and worse case was I didn't have a rebuild-able core. I wanted my coach in my driveway where I could decide what to do without making an impulse decision that I would regret.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 09-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
pairodice

Could you have told the tow service that you would give them the same as Good Sam? Hopefully they brought a big trailer...
pairodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Neweller

I had a Newell towed from San Diego up to a mechanic friends in Bakersfield, CA and I had the AAA insurance that only covered a 100 miles to anywhere. I made a deal with the trucking company for a cash difference of $380 which I felt was a very fare deal. The trucker new he could get another return tow without a deadhead. This guy used a semi with a wheel lift. Another time I had a 38' brand X motorhome it was hauled on a special trailer.

Jon, that was a screwed up deal on Good Sam's part (actually the whole incident was) been down a similar road more than once. I would be pretty ticked too. What if it was a persons only credit card available and he needed it for the next tow company actually doing the tow? If I ever use a company like Good Sam I will make them make sure they have it covered before they get my card number. Isn't always nice how some company's take the money instantly and refund it back several days to a weeks later. It's bs and most know it. I have owned businesses most of my life and offered a credit card service, and learned that when I give the customer an instant refund they are much more likely to come back. Sometimes you don't want them back!
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
MrE

Adrian,

I was able to get towed for what Good Sam was quoted, the tow truck driver explained that Good Sam attempts to negotiate with them where they get paid also. In my instance he said that Good Sam wanted them to do the tow for $1,000 and pocket the $750 for themselves. Prior to this experience I was under the misconception that as a Good Sam member they would provide this as a service to members and not use it for an additional revenue stream.

Fortunately I wasn't in a position where the credit card charge was a problem, this time. There have been times in the past where that would not have been the case and I would have been sitting there waiting for the refund to hit the credit card 4 or 5 days later.

The tow went very smooth, they put the Newell on a trailer that was pretty amazing. The trailer wheels moved forward to where the rear of the trailer sat on the ground and it was only a slight incline to winch the coach up onto the trailer. Once on the trailer the wheels were moved back to where they needed to be for traveling.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740