Cold Cold Windows - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Retired63

Default Cold Cold Windows

We have windows that are drafty in my opinion. At night we will close the shades. This helps some what but we were wondering what others do to help stop drafts. I have the feeling there are more drafty windows out there than just mine. Any ideas that may help this situation? Thank you

Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Neweller

Are your windows double or single pane? The reason I ask, is that the single pane windows when cold will feel like a draft as air movement throughout your coach deflects off them. Otherwise it would be a possible sealing issue.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Retired63

hello ken,

Because of the amount of cold coming through our windows I'm assuming they are single pane. It's a classic newell if that helps any.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

They make some stick-on plastic film inside storm windows that work fairly well at reducing the cold window problem.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
1993Newell

2 Pack Of 3M Indoor Insulator Kit, 5-Window

• Lowers heating costs and saves energy
  • Applies easily, shrinking tight, wrinkle-free and clear on glass
  • Increasing the R-value of single pane window by 90%

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
jWolfe

Or you could look into getting day and night blinds to keep the cold out and warm in.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
77newell

Funny story: we were returning from the south to Michigan in February (what the hell were we thinking). Anyway, we got caught in Cincinnati with snow and ice and parked in a truck stop. We kicked on the gen with all the electric heaters going along with just the furnace in the back since we were a bit low on propane (what the hell were we thinking). Our coach has twin beds and single pane glass. My wife complained in the night about being cold but managed to get some sleep. I checked the outdoor temperature 9 degrees. In the morning I'm tidying up the beds and found her quilt frozen to the aluminum window frame.

I'm planning to switch to dual pane windows this summer if my wife relents on having a coach with slides. Peninsula glass has quoted me a price of about $2500 to supply new windows are all the large windows in the coach. For a trip we are about to take (south this time - maybe we do learn, just slowly) I'm fabricating some insulating panels for the windows and windshield from flexible insulation I'm getting from Lowes.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Neweller

Jon, I've been there done that, actually more than once. I must love a little suffering once in a while. Even though the walls are insulated with a good closed-cell foam, they can get cold in those single digit temps. It's also nice to have radiant heat as the floors can get damn cold.

On one of my past Newell coaches, it had came with 1/4" thick plexyglass covers that were held on by the little plastic mirror holders and it would help quite a bit. You can still get a little condensation build some times, but not a big deal. First choice would be dual-pane. I have had to resort to putting some thick corrugated boxes against the walls to help with the cold laminate. I'm not the biggest fan of laminate on the walls during the winter. The snowbird thing sounds much more promising don't it?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote