Alarm Sound? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2000, 09:14 PM   #1
Art Knapp

Default Alarm Sound?

We have a 1983 Newell (Bettin). While driving up an extremely steep detour in Alaska (and pulling our Dodge Caravan) a loud alarm (buzzer) started. I checked all the gauges (oil, water, air, and transmission) and we were ok. There was no place to pull over. The alarm sounded for about 1-2 minutes then stopped. My son trued to locate exactly where the alarm was, but could only narrow it to the dash area near the passenger side. The alarm stopped by itself and the coach went happily on its way. This has never happened before or since. Can you tell me what the alarm is for, what conditions set it off, and what to do when it does start? We do not have a manual for the 1983 Newell. We have a 1987 manual, but I can not find mention of this alarm. By the way, if there is anyway that I could get a copy of a 1983 Newell Manual, let me know.

Thanks for Your help.
Art Knapp

Art Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2000, 10:11 PM   #2
TechTalk

Alarming Sound - The only audible alarm used in Newells of this vintage was a high coolant temperature warning. Most of these alarms included an engine shut down feature if the temperature continued to escalate. If your instrument panel gauge appears to be working correctly and did not show a coolant temperature in excess of around 215 degrees F., the alarm is probably going off a bit prematurely.

We suggest that you confirm the accuracy of your dash gauge against a manual gauge that a mechanic can install at the engine. Further, from the circumstances you described, it sounds like the alarm indeed may have been warning of temperatures approaching the problem point. So you should exercise caution when the alarm sounds, as your engine may be getting close to overheating and damage, or the engine shut down may activate, with immediate loss of all engine power.

To cool properly, Newells of this vintage require regular, thorough radiator cleaning with a high pressure washer and engine degreaser.The condition of the radiator can be checked easily by using a mechanic's "trouble light" to shine through the core while looking through from the opposite side. The radiators eventually experience damage from small stones and debris in the air blast, and require recoring or replacement. We suggest that radiator maintenance, repair, and replacement as required is more economical than repairs that can be required after an overheat.

TechTalk

TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2000, 08:17 PM   #3
TechTalk

After further discussion, we believe that the most likely cause of your buzzer alarm was the TV antenna alarm giving a false warning rather than a high temp alarm. To verify this theory, you can raise the TV antenna and turn on the ignition key. If you hear the same sound, you have your mystery solved.

TechTalk
TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote