Tech Talk Archives 10 - Page 4 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #61
Neweller

A
1299 5/20/2004 11:11:42 AM 5/28/2004 Dennis dennis44sr@yahoo.com New Tires Go to a truck stop and look at the tires on the 'big rigs'. I doubt you will find anything other than steer tires on the front of the tractors.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #62
Neweller

A
1300 5/22/2004 1:07:22 PM 5/28/2004 john leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net Heat Pump Question for Newell tech staff and anyone else. Considering replacing older roof A/C unit with roof heat pump which supposedly cools and heats down to 40 degrees outside temp and also has auxillary heat strip. Wondering how well heat pumps work? Main concern is cooling. Next question: Replaced front shocks with Koni's and there was noticeable improvement in ride quality. Other shocks just not firm enough. Would there be much to gain by also replacing rear shocks? Thanx for any comments. John L

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #63
Neweller

Q
1301 5/22/2004 11:15:24 PM 5/28/2004 Ted Johnson ted@denverbiodiesel.com Sharing Info with classic owners! I'm about to do a 1977 to live in & promote biodiesel.

Would like to share ideas & experience.

I want to paint the entire interior--dark woodgrain to white. Looking at bathtub refinishing technique. Thoughts?

Ted
Denver, CO

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #64
Neweller

A
1302 5/26/2004 2:53:31 PM 5/28/2004 Mike Reganold yotguy@aol.com perma pub Cannot get our "pub" to pump fluids. The original owner says he never used it.Does someone have an owners manual or advice...Thanks,Mike (503)310-8272 Portland,Oregon

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #65
Neweller

Q
1303 5/27/2004 12:03:32 PM 5/28/2004 ron harper ronharper04@comcast.net 81 newell hi w.a , just curious , how soon are you buying , & if you don't mind , what price, newell is a great coach, thanks ron

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #66
Neweller

A
1304 5/28/2004 2:14:30 PM 6/1/2004 Allen Reames aljoba@att.com perma pub I had my unit parked for 3 years and didn't use it. I removed the entire perma pub unit, made sure that the tubes were not obstructed and then drilled an extra hole in the stopper for the bottles, put it back together and it worked. However, before I did this, I tried to get information about the manufacturer without success. I do have a manual of sorts and will copy it for you. Give me an address to mail.
Allen

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #67
Neweller

A
1305 5/28/2004 3:16:08 PM 6/1/2004 Allen Reames aljoba@att.com Speedo/Cruise Control '86 Newell with Bendix control on Transmission. While driving on a VERY rough road in South Dakota both speedomoter and cruise control quit. Later Guarantee tried to fix and said the sender on the transmission was pulsing. I think it may be an electric disconnect in the front. Where do I look for connection from the sender?
Also, my little post lights on the dash are ALL out. Is that also a single connection someplace? Thanks!
Allen Reames

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #68
Neweller

Q
1306 5/28/2004 7:07:20 PM 6/1/2004 Allen Reames aljoba@att.net perma pub Mike, ignore my prior message with an email address of aljoba@att.com. It was Friday afternoon and I lost it, although I was able to find my way home unassisted. My wife was kind enough to point out the error. I will copy the manual and send when I have your address sent to aljoba@att.net.
Sorry. Allen

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #69
Neweller

A
1307 5/30/2004 10:04:14 AM 6/1/2004 Rick Moody excaliber@cableone.net 1973 Newell Motor Coach Hello;

I have a 1969 Newell, that sounds alittle like what your add says you are looking for. Rick Moody 417-781-3108

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #70
Neweller

A
1309 5/31/2004 6:03:46 PM 6/1/2004 John Williams stcywllms@cs.com Private Coach
I have Private Coach Serial # 3500REI044D12J MTR # 4053875 CA 3208. Can give me the year model and details as to what this coach had in it originally. The floor plan appears to have been changed over the years. Please give me any history you can.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #71
Neweller

Q
1310 5/31/2004 6:12:13 PM 6/1/2004 John Williams stcywllms@cs.com 1976 36ft coach Combs
Have not forgotten to get back with you. Yes I need diagrams. Let me know the number of pages so I can figure out the postage or if you can scan. I'll gladly pay postage or FEDEX.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #72
Neweller

A
1311 6/1/2004 3:25:02 PM 6/5/2004 ted Johnson ted@denverwebworks.com Drag link for '77 Anyone know what front end is in a 77? Shop says I need a new drag link. (I told 'em I wouldn't be draggin' with it but they insist.) Is it a standard front end from Ford or Freightliner or?

Thanks--need it fast. Driving to CO Friday
Ted
303-506-7804

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #73
Neweller

Q
1312 6/1/2004 8:14:50 PM 6/5/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com Sharing Info with classic owners! Been working on my 1978 for 5 years . I've got LOTS of questions! Maybe a bulletin board for "Classic" owner/restorers?
1. How do I fix the "corrosion" (white powdery substance) bubbling under the paint?
2. I haven't found a good way to brighten up the dark formica either. Ours still doesn't show any wear so I hate to cover it up!
3. Yeah, seat belts would be great. The only way I know of to install them would be to use updated seat pedastels.
4. I wonder if the welting in the windows could be replaced. That's all that's wrong with mine. At $200.00 or more per window for new ones it would be worth it to R/B these if possible.
Dean
N/E Indiana

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #74
Neweller

A
1314 6/5/2004 10:55:21 AM 6/6/2004 Bill wrssr@msn.com Sharing Info with classic owners! Dean, I have a 1974 Newell. The inside is real dark from the formica walls, somebody suggested that I put in the light colored QuickStep 800 Uniclic flooring. Having never installed flooring before took me about 3 1/2 weeks to complete from start to finish. Stripped carpet from between drivers seats to back bedroom. Found out there was linoleum all through coach which was a good thing for this new style flooring - creates a vapor barrier. Had to remove linoleum in a couple of spots because it had raised because of its age which is normal. Had a couple of rotten spots in hall by bathroom - went back to my old bodyman days - instead of using wood filler, which I knew wasn't strong enough, I used fiberglass "kittyhair", which is the apoxy mixed with chopped matting. Used an air grinder and sanded smooth. Than I had to pull the 1001 staples used to put carpet in. Out here in the northwest, becasue of the 4 seasons, when ready for the new flooring, I laided down 2 layers of #4 plastic, then laid down uniclic's plastic membrane and then started laying the flooring. Because of Newell's rounded corners, it took longer to round the corners on the flooring so it would look right, and because of uniclic's 1/4" expansion gap all the way around the flooring, it took a while. The flooring came out absolutely beautiful. The first thing I noticed when done and cleaned - because of the light oak flooing, and I mean "light", it light up the dark formica paneling and actually enhanced it. During the day the light from the windows hit the flooring and lights up the walls and everything. When its dark out I turn on the lights in the coach same thing happens. I highly recommend it. Like you, I was thinking about painting the walls - but I knew I had to find a primer to paint on the formica - haven't been able to find a primer that would hold - in time it would probably peel. Picking up pictures of what I done today. If you want pictures can scan and e-mail to you. Bill

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #75
Neweller

A
1315 6/6/2004 4:44:34 PM 6/10/2004 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net 1979 Air Bag & Brake Upgrades 79 Newell 38' - We schedule preventative maintenance each year to keep coach in A-1 shape and make improvements where possible. This year is air bags and brakes. Are there any service bulletins or upgrades on either of these items? Thanks in advance.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #76
Neweller

Q
1316 6/7/2004 8:58:48 AM 6/10/2004 Carl Burton carlburton@yahoo.com central air 87 newell We have an '88 Newell. Although all three basement a/c units work okay at present, I am more comfortable with roof units. So, we very recently put two Duo-Therm 11,000 BTU low profile roof units on our coach and had the covers painted the same color as the coach. The units cool just fine at 95 degrees and below and I use the basement units only if I need to. Really like the Duo Therm roof units and they are not nearly as noisy as some. And unless the basement condenser coils are totally eaten up from internal acid, they can usually be repaired. Regards, Carl

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #77
Neweller

A
1317 6/7/2004 12:38:58 PM 6/10/2004 Richard Cameron dadcameronAZ@aol.com Koni Shocks I would like to improve the ride of my 1998 (#478) Would Koni shocks do this or is something else recommended.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #78
Neweller

A
1318 6/7/2004 5:24:32 PM 6/10/2004 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com Sharing Info with classic owners! Thanks Bill, I wonder if the Quick Step is like that laminate flooring? It interlocks and you glue each piece as you install. It kind of "floats" ie it's not nailed down to the sub-floor. We just had that installed in one of our rental houses. It looks great! What did you do around the front wheel housings? We just carpeted them when we carpeted the floors. Pics would be great. In fact I've been thinking of trying to compile pics of classic Newells so if you have one of the outside that would be neat!
Dean

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #79
Neweller

A
1319 6/7/2004 9:36:25 PM 6/10/2004 Raul Cortez raul-cortez@sbcglobal.net New Tires I just bought new tires for my 1995 Newell Coach and I bought Bridgestone R293 24.5 Load Range H. The H rating is 16 ply versus the G rating which is 14 ply. The G rated tire is most popular at tire dealers. You have to order in the H rated tire and will take a couple of extra days to come in. A potential buyer of my coach noticed a thumping sound when we were test driving the coach. He walked to the bedroom and noticed a thumping sound coming from the drive axle area. I didn't feel right selling the coach with tires that could potential blow out at any given time, so I replaced them with the Bridgestone R293 Load range H. This also solved the thumping sound that was caused by an inside drive axle tire that had bad cupping. We couldn't see it while it was installed on the coach. Once it was off the wheel....you could tell how bad the tire was and right away I new that was causing the thumping. I feel much better about selling my coach now that it has the new tires.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #80
Neweller

A
1320 6/8/2004 6:15:02 AM 6/10/2004 Ted Johnson ted@denverwebworks.com Sharing Info with classic owners! Turns out mine is a 1976. Just drove it Houston-Denver with no problems.

Mine has a terrible bounce. If the road conditions are just right the driver can go airborne. Shop insisted the shocks were not leaking--replaced not long ago. Will Koni's or another brand make a big difference? Any other suggestions?

Steering wanders--lots of play. New steering tires. Newell's service dept gave shop instructions on adjusting drag link. Has anyone tried the various stabilizers or centering devices advertised?

Thanks for the flooring experience, Bill. Anyone tried ceramic tile?

Ted

-Bob Marley