What battery is best??? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default What battery is best???

My new project 1993 Newell appears to be equipped with extra batterys. There is a total of eight 8D batterys. They are all dated 2004. I may end up replacing all of them. I'm wondering what kind of batterys others are using. I have good access to Interstate but would like to investigate one of the newer style that doesn't need water added.

Thanks,
Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
fulltiming

Dean, although the upfront price is high, 8D AGM batteries are the optimal solution. I have had very good results with Lifeline AGM in my coach, although I don't have as many batteries as you do since I have an RV refrigerator rather than a residential model.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Hoosier,

Might want to look at this post http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/...2/m/8571088454

And also do a search on the AGM batts.

I just priced 8D size at Batteries Plus here in Texas. 519.99 plus about 25 shipping.

Might want to investigate the charging requirements and talk to Lifeline. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the net about charging AGM batteries. Some claim they require different charging voltages and patterns, others say that standard wet cell settings work.

You also might want to investigate the equalizing process, which is simply a controlled, timed voltage overcharge of the batteries. It may bring those puppies back to a usable life. Here are a couple of links http://www.monacocoach.com/service/t...6/4_21_06.html
http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.fo...tery_maint.pdf
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
larryweikart

I just replaced my batteries with interstates at $150 each. I have used them before and have been very pleased. The last 4 lasted 5 years and I have unusually high usage as I have traveled 147,000 mi;es in those years and spend a lot of time on the invertor.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
JohnC

Absorbed Glass Mat batteries (AGM) use lead acid in a gel form. They are not to be confused with Gel cell and should be treated the same as regular lead acid for charging rates.

Since switching to AGM'S several years back, Newell's warranty replacement has dropped by 90%, not to mention we seldom clean or rebuild battery compartments anymore. The AGM's in my 87 coach are now seven years old and still going strong.

AGM's are not perfect, but pretty darn close from my standpoint.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
busnut

I replaced the 8D house batteries with T105s. They are about the same amp hours as an 8D but easier to handle being half the size. So now I have 2 8D coach batteries and 12 T105 golf cart batteries.
busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Travis

Default Interstate batteries

For what it's worth, the Interstate Battery warehouse here in Lubbock usually has a good supply of what they call "blems" for about half price. They've explained to me that for these purposes what they're calling a blem is a battery returned under warranty that was checked and found to be good...they can no longer be sold as new, so they sell them as blems...$75 each for 4D and 8D's...you might see if you can find a similar deal in your area.

Travis
81 Newell
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
HoosierDaddy

I'm thinking Interstate 8D 1400 CCA for the main engine and AGM's for the "house" batts. Question: My coach has two 8D's on each side of the main engine compartment (total of four) and four more on the drivers side just behind the front wheel. Do all four in the rear start the main engine? Are the four on the side just "house " batts? Which ones start the generator? Would I create a problem by mixing wet-cell and AGM's in this way?

Thanks
Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 AM   #9
fulltiming

Dean, the two batteries on the passengers side of the engine compartment should be the starting batteries. All the other batteries should be house batteries. The starting batteries can be different but the other 6 should be matched.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote