Should I clean fuel tank after sitting 2 1/2 years? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
RW Wiley

Default Should I clean fuel tank after sitting 2 1/2 years?

Hi all,

My 1993 Newell bus apparently sat anywhere from 2.5 to 3 years or more.

Do I need to worry about the condition of my fuel tank? The tank was very low on fuel when I left the dealer. I had the fuel filter changed before I left for my 1600 mile trip home. I will change the fuel filter before my big trip this fall and bring a spare.

RW Wiley

Everyone has to be good at something........
I just happen to be a good bad example.

Occasionally in error but never in doubt.
RW Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
The Newell

Check your filters for water and grunge. Don't forget the generator and any other appliance using fuel.

You have filled with clean fuel and driven which has agitated the tank. The biggest problem I am looking for is MBG growth.

If you have MGBs, it can be cleaned up. Good fuel hygiene and management will keep it away.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
prairieschooner

What engine do you have? If it is a Detroit 8V92 then I suggest adding an algae treatment like Biobor and then changing the 1st Fuel Filter often for a few tanks of fuel.
Our '82 had sat for 7 years prior to us buying it. I did exactly what I am suggesting. I was changing the 1st filter after every 2-300 mile run. I would change the 2nd filter (the one on the engine) every 3rd or 4th time. These Detroit Diesels pump allot of fuel with a good portion returning to the tank so it actually will filter the tank on it's own but you may be surprised how much debris is filtered. Like suggested above you can simply poor some of the fuel out of the filter to check how much junk comes out and monitor it in that way. It may take a little movement to kill and dislodge the organism if present.

PS here is a link;
http://www.biobor.com/fuel-additives...home-index.php
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote