leveling valve cleanup - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #21
encantotom

i checked the height at the 4 corners of the coach at 1pm and at 9pm tonite they were all the same so it had not moved at all.

so at least with mine, the one solenoid i changed did fix it. however, it is only 9 hours so i will check it for a day or two.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
tuga

Russ & Tom,

I remember seeing #3 post on this thread; I just thought mine might be different.

I feel air coming out of the black manifold that the speed control adjustable valves are screwed into. Is the re-build kit for this black plastic manifold?

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #23
tuga

Well, we got the air leak in speed control stopped. Francis removed the brass speed control; he turned the slotted screw shaft clockwise until it stopped. He felt a little grit inside the control while he was turning it. When we put it back in the housing NO MORE LEAKS!

I have 2 new speed control valves ordered and I will replace them when they arrive.

We also changed the s.s. braided hose from the s60 compressor to the spin on air filter (it had a major leak).

Hopefully, the front of the coach won't lose air overnight.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Richard and Rhonda

Tuga,

I think you are going to find that either the solenoid valve in the manifold is leaking or the manifold is cracked. The speed control valve that you mention can only leak air if the solenoid is leaking.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #25
tuga

Richard,

I received a new solenoid today and will put it in the sewer valve control. I also ordered a air cylinder repair kit from Dupree Products to re-built the air cylinder.

I also ordered 2 air bags from Newell $249 each; Firestone W01-358-8087. They had 1 in stock but had to order the other one. I checked around the internet and called about 6 places; no one had the air bags in stock. They had them in their computer and quoted prices (which were more than Newell) but did not have them in stock.

Well, this has been an interesting ride finding these air leaks - we found about 6 and fixed them but the air bags are the real culprit (I think!)

Thanks for everybody's help.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
smagown

My coach has been sagging on the the R rear to the point of re-grooving my drive tire. I just completed my barn/shop and put the coach up on my Gray MFG 25 ton jack stands with my Grey MFG 25 ton jack. I could not find a leak. Raising with the HWH would hold so I knew the bags were good.With the key in the run position I could hear air at the manifold in the engine bay and figured it was a bad solenoid. I soaped everything and had some slow leaks. Tom sent me the o-rings for my solenoids. Before I pulled them I tested each one with 12v. They all clicked except the L rear raise. I had ordered two from Newell (price increase $128 each).The coach was now holding on the R rear after replacing all the o-rings but was two inches higher on the L rear. I replaced the L rear raise solenoid. I then set my ride height at all four corners and am ready to head to "Dega!
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #27
tuga

Steve,

I know that "Dega" is a big place, but my son-in-law and daughter are there now . They are in turn 4; Geico Frontrunners Club 1 space #511. If you are close by there I'm sure they would enjoy meeting you. My coach is a 1999 Newell white w/black, silver, and gold accents.

Where will you be parked?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #28
smagown

Tuga:
I'll be in the Family campground in Turn 1, California Blvd #13, on the big drainage dish.
Thanks,
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
tuga

Well Francis and I tore into the p/s sewer valve air leak today and here's what we found.

We installed a new solenoid and that didn't fix the problem.

We installed a new speed control valve and that didn't fix the problem.

So we removed the entire housing and checked the O rings inside where the plunger is located. Bingo! The O rings were in fair condition, but the major problem was the plunger was covered with goop and it wasn't moving at all. This is why the air was leaking out - the plunger was not moving completely in the housing and it was allowing air to escape thru the speed control valve.

After we installed the new air control manifold it opened and closed perfectly.

So now we have found and fixed a 6th air leak.

Tomorrow the new front air bags will be installed (they are leaking and are 14 years old). So that will be a 7th and 8th air leak that we found. By the way, Newell's price on these bags were spot on ($249 each) and they were the only one that had them in STOCK!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #30
NewellCrazy

Glad you got everything fixed. I suspected it would be the cylinder itself. That is what it was on mine and it makes sense when you know how they work with the manifold.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote