Have questions regarding a 1988 Newell Coach equipped with 8v92 Engine - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
CoachCrazy

Default Have questions regarding a 1988 Newell Coach equipped with 8v92 Engine

I'm thinking of buying a 1988 Newell Motorhome that has a Detroit 8v92 Pusher engine. I have heard a lot of war stories, it drips oil to no it doesn't. If it does, does it leak when the engine is not running? I have heard use only 40wt low ash oil to syn. is ok but expensive. (The war stories goes on.) I understand it is a 2-stroke engine, is that good or bad? The Motor home has about. 109,000 miles. I can use any advice anybody wants to give on what I really should be looking for as for what to expect with this kind of engine. How many overall miles should I expect over its lifetime? What are maintenance costs and how often? Is there anywhere specifically that I should look to see how well it has been maintained, etc?

CoachCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
77newell

Sir: That vintage engine is the "silver" series 92 that is not nearly as prone to "marking its territory" with oil as earlier engine versions. My go-to mechanic says these engines can probably go 250,000 between in-frame overhauls. If I was in your position I would do the following: have the engine oil, transmission oil and coolant sampled and tested, if I could find a good 2-stroke mechanic I would have him/her pull the air box covers and peek into the cylinders (it's not that hard), and I would have that mechanic take a good look-see at the exterior. I would pay special attention to the fuel lines feeding the engine as these can harden and have bits on the inside come loose and cause injection problems (mine did). The hoses are relatively short and not expensive but they are a real blood letting bugger to change. The radiator should be closely examine for cleanliness and fin damage.

Expected maintenance is filters, oil and grease. Nothing you would not have with different engine.

Jon
77 coach

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

You mentioned oil. I believe that Delo developed a special oil for the Detroit 2 cycle, and the oil is Delo 100 (not 400) 40w.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

Chester is correct, Oil used is a Delo 100. Not a synthetic oil. Coolant should be tested every 6 month's and replaced about every 3/4 years. Engine should be exercised every 1/2 weeks and be brought up to operating temperature to move the coolant around. Fresh diesel used and if left standing a fungus preventive should be added to the fuel also. 2 cycle engine, blower turbo, does not like to be idled, use bunny speed, [fast idle], life expectancy depends on operator.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
CoachCrazy

I want to thank everyone for your input thus far. My next questions are as follows:

How do I tell if it is Turbo, they don't mention turbo at all? Are all the 92's V-Turbo? Is a 2-cycle engine for a Motor Home good or bad? I know the basics of the 2 stroke engines, but the whole idea is still new to me. What routine maintenance costs should I expect? Other than trusting what the owner says, is there anything(s) that I can look at or spot to see how well it has been maintained?Thanks
CoachCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
MrE

The 8V92 is not anything like a 2 stroke motorcycle if that's where your knowledge lies. I'm not an expert (yet) but they have cam shafts that operate the injectors and exhaust valves and require a blower to run. Here's a link to a video that explains the basic principals of the DD 2 stroke.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
GringoPhil

All 8V92's were turbo engines to my knowledge but its possible I could be wrong. You will see the turbo if you look on top of the engine. Blower is beneath the turbo.

Phil
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
prairieschooner

OK 1st the Detroit Diesel 8V92 is a great engine. These older Detroits had a reputation for leaking and hence the nick name Driptriot. I run my 6V92 2 Quarts low on the dipstick, this helps with leaking from the slober tube..Remember this is a 2 Stroke!
These Diesels are very hardy and will run and run with proper maintenance. And yes the CHVEVRON DELO 100, 40 Weight is the correct Oil...Not easy to find but since the engine is a marine or military engine the oil is still available. I buy my oil at WEST MARINE, I just order it and after a few days it is available. Outside of that you would want a CF-2 Motor Oil that is 40W.
Our '82 has 125K on the 6V92 and it is in great condition. Do Oil Samples as suggested above and pay a few Hundred $$$ to have a good mechanic look at it. If the current owner will not allow a Mechanical Inspection think twice about proceeding!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I think you will find that all 2 cycle engines in motorhomes have not only one or more turbos, but also a supercharger for the low RPM range. I have been told that one cannot start the Detroit 2 cycle without the supercharger.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
jdaniel

My 1991 has the 8v92 and has been parked on the same concrete for 6 years. Mine has never had a spot under it. I heard those same stories too but it's never been an issue with mine.

jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote