The Newell Coach Squish Effect. Values? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Yachts

Default The Newell Coach Squish Effect. Values?

Before anything, I want to say I have owned a 96 with no slides and feel Newell is the best coach out there and a used Newell is light years away from most new motorhomes .

As new coaches are made every year the previous years coaches decrease in value.. Just like driving a new car off a lot.. But last years models then force the previous years models downward in price, and so on and so on.. I think of this like the older coaches and their prices being "squished" downward by newer nicer fancier coaches being available..

That being said I see two things happening to the market.. Pre 95 Newell's did not have the series 60 engine, (correct?), and that most people consider a huge upgrade over the old dd's..Im not sure when Newell's went to 45'ft but I think it was around that time..so mid 90's is a major break point in the Newells.

In 1997 slides began to emerge and that is the next major consideration in buying a Newell..from what I can see every slide is probly worth 15-20 k in price.
so this is my next observation.. A double slide 98 just sold at Motor homes of Texas for around 115--120.. I have seen some singles around asking 125 or so probably be happy to get 100 for them.. That should make and from what I see market wise a 95-96 no slides around 60-80 depending on condition.. ( I paid 200k for my 96 in 2002).. I just don't understand how so many owners have their coaches priced 50-100k over what the existing market is..just like older yachts their does come a point where the older boats level out in depreciation.. But in boats their's not been the major innovation of slides in the last 15 years. I'm thinking the slides are going to have an incredible effect on the market in the next 1-5 years.. Why would you want to pay 80 for a no slide when for 10k more you can have a slide.. Once multiple slide coaches break the 100k mark I think the no slides would be in the 60-70 range.. And pre 95's could be sub 40k if they are not their already and no slide 95-96 may not be far behind

I am in the market for another Newell right now and when I call on a coach and the owners ask what number do you have in mind before you fly cross the country to look at it and its like they are being insulted..there are several no slide coaches 95-96 models that people feel are worth 125... There is just no way... And as coaches get older the model year becomes less important.. Example I don't care if its a 95,96,97,98,99 to me they are the same.. Miles on Newell's dont matter even 200k is nothing for one of these. I see another break around 2001 when they changed the headlights and went to exterior air doors and steps.. But most if not all these coaches have slides so you are buying slides.. Then when the new body style came out in 2005 obviously that's a whole different animal...

I think There is a huge shift in the market that is getting ready to happen.. I would love to hear everyone else's thoughts..

thanks
Yachts
Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote