Diamondshield Removal on front Cap of Coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
encantotom

Default Diamondshield Removal on front Cap of Coach

my coach has the what used to be clear diamondshield (or equivalent) on the front of the coach. it is faded and cracking and looks awful. i have searched online a ton to see if there is any easy way to remove it. i have not found much. i ordered some plastic razor blades to help peel it off and have gotten some 3m adhesive remover to help with the residue. it appears it is going to take most of the rest of my life to get it all off.

i would NEVER put this stuff on again.

anyone have any brilliant ideas on removing this stuff? i have spent quite some time and gotten a tiny strip off.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
rheavn

Never tried it, but I have read of others doing so. Try using a hair dryer to warm the surface. Small areas. Slow progress.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
tuga

I was at Newell a few years ago for service and the bay next to me 2 workers were removing diamondplate from the front of a coach. They worked for 2 full days (10 hrs/day) getting it off! They were using a hair dryer type device heating it first and then just peeling it off.

Give Newell a call; they may apply a softening agent prior to heating w/ hair dryer. I don't think they use anything but a phone call only takes a minute and it may make it a little bit faster.

Good luck!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
encantotom

yea, i tried the heating. all it does is make it soft and break into tiny pieces. i read all those posts on various sites.

i think once i get the plastic razor blades i ordered, that it will be easier. slow and easy so it doesnt hurt the paint.

at least it is mindless work. right up my alley.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
yea, i tried the heating. all it does is make it soft and break into tiny pieces. i read all those posts on various sites.

i think once i get the plastic razor blades i ordered, that it will be easier. slow and easy so it doesnt hurt the paint.

at least it is mindless work. right up my alley.

tom
Like Curly on the 3 stooges used to say, "I keep trying to think, but nothing happens!"
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Ron Skeen

I have taken my sheild off and it was tuff. I have the plastic razor blades and holder and all kinds of different solverent along with heat gun. I found that when park in the sun working a little every day was the easiest. I would have left it along if I had known what I was getting into and also the protection it gave. Mine probably look worse now then it did with the sheild. You can look at mine and make a judgement.

Ron
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
folivier

What about getting it started then using a pressure washer carefully to peel it off?
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
jwe648

This is what the Diamond Shield folks say... So it seems you're following the right path.. good music and a cocktail would help also!
"Diamond Shield Nano-Fusion Paint Protection Film can be removed from any OEM paint surface by first softening the film and adhesive using a hair dryer or heat gun then lift the film at approx. 15° angle; standing to the side pull the film toward you thereby releasing the film from the surface. If any sections are known to have been repainted, extreme care should be taken on those sections during removal. Complete warming of the surface must be achieved before pulling the film off slowly, continuously heat the film at the peel point during removal. Be careful not to overheat the film or it will become too soft and tear".
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Summersgal

This is what I did on our RZR that we purchased a few months ago...Hair Dryer! Then after using the hair dryer to remove and peeled all the labels, I used GOOFOFF(Lowe's) to remove any sticky residue left. Then washed with soap and water!

Pam
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
prestadude

My coach (2000) had the same problem. It looked terrible. I had Newell do the removal and application of a replacement. Turns out that in spite of their best efforts, paint started coming off with the film and the front had to be repainted. They no longer use the adhesive film, they instead spray on a thick layer of clear material that has the same protective properties but more durable and long lasting. As an added bonus, they added a chrome strip stamped with the Newell logo (used on later years) giving my coach a bit of a new look.

prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote