Fuel Tank Leak - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
Joe Jaeger

Default Fuel Tank Leak

Have a hairline crack at corner edge of seam (running to bottom of 200 gallon tank). Don't wish to remove tank to fix. Have emptied out diesel fuel already. Any suggestions on how to repair and what best product to use? Need reply ASAP. Thank you.

Joe Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #2
TechTalk

While we understand your preference to fix the fuel tank in place, we know of no safe procedure to accomplish this. Our recommendation is to remove the tank, thoroughly steam clean it to remove any diesel residue, then weld the tank, and finally reinstall it. This is a potentially dangerous job and should be done only by a competant technician who is experienced at repairing fuel tanks. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS AT HOME!

TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:02 AM   #3
J Clark

Hi Joe-
This is one of those- 'been there, done that' things for me. For me the hardest part was emptying and refilling the tank (three times)and you have already done that.

I agree with Newells tech staff. Pull the tank and take it to a good welding shop. They can weld it in a matter of minutes (diesel tanks are easy to weld).

It is fairly easy to remove and two people can manhandle it. Be sure to flush it out after welding to get the 'burnt' residue out.

I tried the 'in frame' repair once and within a matter of months, I was seeping diesel again. You might consider having the welder reinforce (weld) the mounting plates as they seem to be a common failure point on fuel tanks.

Good luck! jc
J Clark is offline   Reply With Quote