Steer Tires - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
urfreeman07@gmail.com

Default Steer Tires

I am going to buy new steer tires for our 42' 1992 Newell. Some of you have switched sizes and brands. Please share the pros and cons for the switch. I want to make the right choice!

Note: I have replaced the 6 drive tires with the old size already...11R24.5

Thanks in advance for sharing. You are a smart bunch of folks. I have been able to keep my coach pretty much trouble free for the first 10K miles.

WE LOVE OUR NEWELL

urfreeman07@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
encantotom

you can do a search on here and find a discussion on this. michael changed to 305's, which is the biggest you can go on your coach.

i run the stock 11r24.5 i dont have weight issues with mine, which would be the only reason for running a bigger tire if you could.

if you have weighed your coach and are within the weight on your vin plate, you should be fine with the stock tires.

a con on the bigger tires is availability if you are on the road. a michelin 305 you will not find is a common tire stocked at places. the 11r24.5 is a very common tire.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
urfreeman07@gmail.com

Makes since to me now. Thanks Tom

urfreeman07@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
zcasa

Hi Allen, our #303 92 Newell 42' 9" has had good luck with the tires. A couple of years ago I replaced the steer tires with the 305 Michelins and have put about 20K on them with no issues and very even wear. As Tom says, it gives us more weight capacity. My other six were replaced last year and I did the Bridgestone 11R24.5 H rated tires. They have performed very well too. Surprisingly, my tire shop gave me $100 each on a trade in. Made the price much more reasonable for the six. Also they threw in balancing.

Good luck.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote