Questions regarding Newell sitting 2.5 - 3 years - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
David Carrol

Default Questions regarding Newell sitting 2.5 - 3 years

I am checking out a Newell This weekend and apparently it has sat anywhere from 2.5 to 3 years or more and the owner stateed it has roughly 1/2 tank of fuel. Do I need to worry about the condition of the fuel in the tank? and is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Thank You,

David Carrol

David Carrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
lbrachfe

Mine was hidden in a warehouse for 2 years before the bank found it that I bought it from. It needed quite a bit.. Change out all the 25 plus filters and air dryers and new fluids to start. Load test your batteries to 750amp, Check the DOT stamps on tires and Newell changes 3 years on steering tires and 5 years on others,Check water sytem for leaks and dump valves for dried out paddles, I would drain the fuel tank, but thats just me and prime the engine and genset with new fuel, Spray Brakeleen wherever you see oil or grease buildup and then check for leaks. Air up and check for air leaks after reaching 110lbs. Spray soapy water on any suspicious hoses or fittings to confirm leaks. Most everything else is just check and re check as "Lot Rot" is our biggest enemy.Don't forget the Aquahot, The frig and dishwasher

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Neweller

You could have a fuel analysis done as with all the fluids. This would take any fuel quality concerns away. If there was algae fuel treatment added that would be a good thing. It also depends on whether or not it was winter fuel too. I had 3 year old fuel and did the things I just stated even through some nasty winters, after testing I mixed in good fuel, having replacement fuel filters handy and never encountered any problems running the fuel out. But like Larry B. suggested above you can do complete drain and flush of fuel. Oil should be changed every 6 months or the manufacturers stated mileage for that engine, which ever comes first. So records are always a BIG plus.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
David Carrol

Hi all,

I checked out the Newell Coach and it seemed to operate as it should one thing I noticed was that the low air light kept coming on.

Here is my question:

the low air light would cycle on and off and the air gauge shows between 90#-to 120# would something be wearing out and would this be something to worry about if I buy this motor home

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
folivier

Could be just a bad pressure switch, or loose wire at the switch or at light.
Is this the one that was on ebay recently? Nice coach.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
fulltiming

1) The low air light should not be coming on at 90 psi. 2) The engine air compressor (I presume the engine was running when you were witnessing this phenomenon) should kick in WAY before the pressure gets down to 90 psi. With the engine running, the engine air compressor should hold the air pressure between about 105 and 125 psi. With the engine off and the 120 volt air compressor on, the air pressure should be between 75 and 90 (although these points can be adjusted on some compressors). When driving down the road, the air suspension will cause the pressure to drop. When stationary, the system pressure should hold for a minimum of 40 minutes before the air compressor cycles (Newell's standard). If you have gone through the coach and located and corrected the leaks, it should hold for hours. Note: if the brake air is going down with the system air pressure with the engine running and not hitting the brakes, you have a serious safety issue and you need to replace the air brake check valves and determine if there are any leaks in the brake system that need to be addressed. Losing brake air can ruin you entire afternoon when the rear brakes lock up at 60 psi.

However, based on the low air light coming on at very high pressure readings, I would go with Forest's answer. The pressure switch could be bad or you could have a bad connection.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
David Carrol

Hi Forest and Michael,

Not sure if it was on ebay or not I found it just searching online. You guys were correct the pressure switch was bad but in the end my wife and I made the purchase.

I do have some more questions for everyone,

David Carrol
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
fulltiming

Congratulations. I would not have let a low pressure light coming on stop my decision to purchase a coach.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote