Engine Differences Detroit Diesel - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Major Stan

Default Engine Differences Detroit Diesel

What is the main difference between the in a 6v92T and an 8v92? Which would you say is the better engine?

Stan

Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
encantotom

it is in my opinion mainly horespower and torque. the 6v, 8v and 16v are variants of the same design. some have better turbos on them as well.

power is mainly it i believe

go to the yahoo group on 2 stroke diesels called DetroitDiesel and you will find out tons of info.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
fulltiming

For those not familiar with the two-stroke Detroit Diesel engines, the 6V92T was a six-cylinder (6) engine in a V configuration (V) with each cylinder having a 92 cubic inch displacement (92) for a total of 552 cid or 9 liters with a turbo-charger (T).

The 8V92 is an eight-cylinder engine in a V configuration with each cylinder having a 92 cubic inch displacement for a total of 736 cid or 12 liters.

In both cases, the engines were available in many different horsepower configurations but the 8V's generally turned out more horsepower and torque than the 6V's.

In RV applications, the 6V92T engines with the Detroit Diesel Electronic Control (DDEC) developed horsepower ranging from 245 BHP to 330 BHP range with torque from 775-1050 ft-lb. In the same applications, the 8V92T engines with DDEC developed horsepower ranging from 400 BHP to 500 BHP with torque from 1150-1425 ft-lb. In marine applications, both engines could be tuned to higher output due to the unlimited cooling available from the water.

The 6V92's were typically used in vehicles with lower GVWR's than were the 8V92's. A 25-30,000 lb vehicle might have been fitted with a 6V92 while a 40,000+ lb vehicle would more likely have been fitted with an 8V92.

Both engines developed their peak torque at 1200 rpm.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
ABnormal

I had the option of purchasing 2 different 87 classics last summer. The first had the 6V92 engine and the second an 8V92. I chose the 6V92 for the same reason the original owner selected it and that is fuel mileage. I have been pleasantly surprised. The previous owner had touted a 10 mile per gallon performance, although I did not believe him.

Turns out that driving 75 most of the time, I get 9.5 mpg. (and I diligently keep records on purchases.) That is incredible for a 38,000 pd coach. I also intend to begin adding a fuel additive this spring which suggests that mileage will be even better.

The second reason for choosing my coach was the roof airs. The 8V92 alternative had an air conditioner in the engine compartment which the previous owner indicated would be very costly to maintain. I guess much of it is in the way of working on the engine and must be removed.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
chockwald

I am new to diesels. My 1982 Newell with the 6v92ta is my first experience in the diesel world. I didn't even know the difference between 4 and 2 stroke diesels until I became interested in this one.

ABnormal....you mention using a fuel additive to boost performance and mileage. What do you recommend? The prior owner, too, says he got 9.5 to 10 mpg pulling a toad, and others have said the same about their 6v92's. Naturally, especially now with diesel prices over $4.00 here in California, I would like to maximize my mpg's.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
Mikeh

Fuel additive probably will not help. A reduction of 10mph will.

Mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote