Interior flooring ideas? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
bigcatwally

Default Interior flooring ideas?

Greetings! I'm still talking about redoing the floor in our Newell. Barb's on me about it and I hate to admit it but she's right. I need to quit talking and start doing, I'm hesitant to rip out the old flooring because then once started, means I'll have to finish the project. The old classic needs some work and I don't have a problem doing it myself to save some money. Once I start I'll be whistling while I work. Those who have redone their flooring, do you have any suggestions on floor material worth installing? Or any advice on what to stay away from?

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
MrE

Wally, we had a '73 that had pergo flooring and it worked quite nice. In our '86, we're thinking about going with a marine indoor/outdoor carpeting. We have a couple of dogs and don't always park in the tidiest of locations, so ease of cleanup is important for us.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
bigcatwally

So you can use that floating engineered flooring? I figured you could but wasn't sure if you should let it float or does it need to be glued down? We have hardwood in our house and it's glued down on concrete slab.

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
lbrachfe

Look for the posts on flooring and you will find Ernie who is the Newell flooring guru and his contact info is there too
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Ground Control

We seen a Newell yesterday with what looked like Pergo and to us it just looked cheap. My sister had it in her home with two little dogs having accidents now and then wthin three years it was ruined. We said NEXT!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
fulltiming

We installed a pergo-type floor throughout our Newell over 5 years ago. It has gone through several years of Irish Wolfhounds. The only issue I have had is two sections I had to replace after a leak from the shower in the bathroom and one from the ice maker in the kitchen. I have a sample of a product that is similar to pergo but made of a more flexible vinyl material that looks like it would hold up much better to moisture. I got the sample from Neal. He put it in his '05 in the area where he had removed the couch and installed 2 recliners. Looks great.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
GRIFFIN JR.

I kind of have to agree with Bernie & Darcy on this one. Coming from a building contractor background for what it’s worth in this great economy I have seen many products from real solid wood to great engineered products. There is a lot of hype with the engineered stuff and has been since the beginning. There have been so many lawsuits and failures with the engineered products like Pergo and the list goes on, I wouldn’t touch most of it with a 10ft pole. Some of my flooring guys made big commissions off all the stuff that goes with the flooring from the cleaners, glue, pads, and trim pieces.

Wood is by far the superior choice. How many 100 plus year old homes have you seen with it still going strong? And a lot of it even gets reclaimed for another 100. You take this engineered stuff that is made out of a like particle substance with tons of glue with many being formaldehyde based that scratches much more than the salesman will ever tell you. I know about piss from untrained dogs, puppies or older dogs with bladder problems. I too installed some of this stuff for a customer with pets doing just as I described causing permanent swelling and damage in the joints. Don’t get me wrong, my family has been raising show dogs for years and we love them. Wood is just better and if you don't mind sweeping and keeping a little wax on it, you’ll get an even better product or even use clear Varathane or polyurethane for additional wear protection..

If you have Laminate around doorways it has a tendency to get scratched up pretty well depending on traffic and what gets dragged across it. If you ever need to replace a piece then it is a real pain in the ass. While on the other hand with Wood you can sand a scratch, re-stain and spray some lacquer over the repair and you’re finished.
GRIFFIN JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
fulltiming

Newell predominately uses carpet and or granite. They have used other materials where the customer requested it, wood, laminate, and tile. Carpet is not a great choice with pets and inclement weather. Wood is a good product. Cork flooring is touted as a good choice with dogs but I haven't tried it.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
NEWELLWIZARD

Granite if you can afford it go for it! Hardwood is the real deal and you can't go wrong with it. I hear ya on wanting to do the work yourself. You can save money and know the job get's done right. That's my take, I like DIY projects!
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
tuga

I recovered my bedroom floor with Centiva vinyl/wood flooring. It is expensive, but we really like it. Be sure to request Centiva (there's nothing like it).

We have BLACK carpet in the front of the coach: it is wonderful. Doesn't show any stains or wear. It is made by Fabrica and is also very expensive. It came in the Newell when it was built in 1998 (it's durable!). If you want something that will last and not show any wear - use these products.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
Neweller

Wally, there are some different advantages to both types of wood flooring. Some laminate’s can be found with a particle board backing, I'd avoid this type if I could. I

would try to go with laminate that has a ply backing due to it being pretty moisture resistant. The wear layer can be kind of thin on some, mainly the particleboard

backed type, unless its a commercial grade. Generally speaking when they use the term engineered wood it refers to a wood ply substrata under a veneered top

surface, these tend to be pricier but hold up fairly well. The best choice for quality is solid wood. Wide boards can be more prone to warping and cupping but if you flip

the board and see reliefs milled into the back it helps to stabilize the wood. I prefer a narrow hardwood over the wider board for motorcoach floors, but the installation

is more time consuming.. Ship-lap is a joint where if the wood does cup can tend to lift a board and it can be a problem, tongue and groove is more stable and any

cupping or movement is forced over a wider area of flooring and tends to lift and then set back down flat. It’s really kind of a personal preference but I would try to

avoid the particle backed laminate if at all possible. Even though manufacturers claim their products are moisture resistant, my experience is that they are not. Some

people claim to have great success with them, but in high humidity areas, my experience is they are really not intended for RV applications. Just try to go with top

notch products in your Newell and really do your homework. I know most of us really try too.

Michael, it sounds like you went with a better product for your application. I have heard yours looks really good. I too would really consider cork flooring, it is very

durable, great against noise, wears well and extremely lightweight which is always a plus.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Several years ago, I replaced the carpet in my motorhome with solid prefinished oak flooring. As best I recall, it was produced by Mannington, bullnose was available for the steps, and it was tongue and grove, about 3/8" thick. I glued it in and used an air finishing nail gun into the grove. If the time comes to replace the carpet in my 2001, I will seriously consider prefinished wood.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Ron Skeen

I installed hard rock maple 3/8 thick laminated on plywood and was t&g. I install this using a glue down process. This was done in my 89 and am planning on doing the same in the B/R of my 96. The rest of the floor are granite. This was done about 9 years ago.

Name:  1989 Newell Ron Skeen 006.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  8.2 KBName:  1989 Newell Ron Skeen 008.jpg
Size:  9.4 KBName:  1989 Newell Ron Skeen 021.jpg
Size:  11.6 KBName:  1989 Newell Ron Skeen 026.jpg
Size:  8.5 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	1989 Newell Ron Skeen 051.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	2710
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Ron Skeen

some more pictures.

Name:  1989 Newell Ron Skeen 072.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  9.3 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	1989 Newell Ron Skeen 029.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2715Name:  1989 Newell Ron Skeen 011.jpg
Size:  10.3 KBName:  1989 Newell Ron Skeen 016.jpg
Size:  10.7 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	1989 Newell Ron Skeen 030.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2718
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
The Newell

Nice Pics Ron, Have you done the same in your 1996 Newell ?

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Randy J

Wally it looks like you got some. Good ideas given here.

I heard of the cork stuff. Haven't seen it installed though.

Ron what you did there in your 89 looks real sweet! Leeann wants hardwood now.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
Ron Skeen

I have change a lot and still working.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7045.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2720Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7049.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	2721Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7075.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	2723Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7067.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	2724
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
Neweller

Ron, you had it going on in both your coaches. Your current coach kind of reminds me of staying at a place called the Royal Sogo Palace. Cool Cool Cool dude, Thanks for the pics.

Wally, that beautiful maple might be right up your alley, as it will lighten things up and wear like a son-of-gun.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
Gone Busing

My wife and I agree the maple is gorgeous in the coach. Looks like the exterior was a pretty blue metallic. Our Eagle conversion has solid cherry throughout and we love the way its held out for all these years. I would say go wood Wally as any stone I'm aware of is much to heavy for your chassis.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Ground Control

Ron, your coaches remind us of a couple of the Newell's we had owned. Some similar tastes. We inherited a coach from Darcy's father and it had beautiful maple and walnut two-toned hardwood. I believe the pics are on our computer down in Belize. When we return I'll try and remember to upload them here to the Newell Forum.

Very nice of you to share by the way. Believe it or not it confirms some ideas for us while in our hunt for another Newell. A very tedious adventure.