Left front compartment/bay water problem - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
W. Mark Hellinger

Default Left front compartment/bay water problem

I've discovered water (probably rain water) is making it's way into the front left compartment/bay of my coach (#426)... quite a bit of water... approx. 9 - 10 inches deep in the compartment when I discovered it. The coach has been parked outside this winter... I hadn't accessed that compartment since mid winter... I didn't notice the problem then, but I suspect it's existed since before I bought the coach as I had previously noticed signs of water on the stuff stored in the bay.

The water seems to be entering "up high"... possibly at that bay's door hinge... the open cell foam insulation on the ceiling of that bay was wet too, as well as the sliding shelf midway up in that bay.

I've addressing this new to me found problem via:

1) I've removed all contents from that bay that don't need to be in there.
2) I've drilled a small weep hole in the bottom of the bay so if water makes it's way in the future, it's got an method to exit.
3) Do what I can to jazz up the door seals and whatever else to keep water out.

The door jam neoprene gasket at the door hinge had somewhat lost it's bouncity-bounce. The neoprene gasket on the door at the hinge had been "sloppy installed"... by whoever installed it... I've removed that gasket, opting for a slightly thicker gasket on the jam... I figure one gasket is better than two doing the same job as there's 1/2 the possibility of failure.

I removed the open cell foam insulation on the ceiling and replaced with closed cell foam.

My question at this point is: Has anybody else experienced this problem, and has pinpointed where the water enters the bay, and has devised a solution?

If this problem has been discussed previously on this forum... please point me to the fountain of knowledge.

W. Mark Hellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
rheavn

Mark,
Newell did not design that bay as a dry bay & mine is so labeled. I'm in the process of seeing if I can seal the hinge, which is the leak. I'll let you know if I come up with a solution.