CO2 detector replaced and still sounding alarm - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Paul Wilbert

Default CO2 detector replaced and still sounding alarm

Early on with this rig the co2 detector in the rear bedroom kept sounding off at night, early in the night.. We had the newell checked with all the hi-tech tools ect.. Pulled it out one night in frustration.. Skip forward to last week.. New co2 unit and New smoke detector. 1st night out, the co2 alarm goes off. Any one else have this happen or have ideas with whats causing this ?

Thank you for your help,

Paul

Paul Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
prairieschooner

2 detectors...I would suggest that you start checking the equipment. What was being used..Refrigerator? Heater? Generator? or was it shortly after running so that it could have come from the Exhaust on the Main?
I wouldn't take this lightly.
PS it could also be from low voltage to the CO Detector.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
The Newell

I had the same problem in our previous coach. Replacing the batteries did not do any good. I put an expensive replacement in with good quality batteries and did not have a problem after that. I also had mine go off once while running the generator.

I have to ask, because it does happen. You weren't dry camping beside someone without an up-pipe were you? Any chance that it wasn't a malfunction and you are having a problem with your furnace?

Please be safe and get it repaired or fixed.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Newell Attack

We had sporadic problems with the co2 detector sounding when we traveled through the higher elevations awhile back so we finally disabled it. On the way home, when we were in lower altitudes, we activated it. Have not had a problem since. Does altitude affect them??? Mine will chirp, when the batteries are low.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
prairieschooner

OK Guys let me tell my story...
A number of years back our LPG Radiant Heater Failed. The fire box burned out and the cabin filled with CO. I didn't wake up but Patti did and after she got me awake I was able to ventilate the cabin. She stayed up all night keeping the wood burner going (yes it was in the 20's) so that I could get some sleep and make it to work in the morning.
In the morning we all packed up (Patti, myself and the dogs) and headed out to the beach so that I could complete the scheduled assignments. While gone that day we got a couple of feet of snow so we headed out to buy the Newell. While we were buying the Newell there were 3 more storms that put 4-5 foot of snow on the ground. Needless to say we spent the balance of that winter in our '82.
Moral of the Story;Do not take a CO Alarm lightly... I am here today because of one!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote