Installed three new roof airs - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
smagown

Default Installed three new roof airs

Hello Newell fans:
This is my first post so be gentle. I bought coach #458 in March 08 at the factory and drove nine hours in a blizzard to get back to Monroe,LA. The weather soon warmed and my basement airs didn't work well. Went to 'Dega, sweated, and learned both boards were burnt. I bought one from Newell for the 13.5 unit and one from Frigette (Ft. Worth) for the 27.5 unit. They just wouldn't cool in our heat and humidity. I'm a dealer for just about everything on an RV so I ordered 3 Duotherm BriskAir 15k units. I called Cressley and he told me where to make my cuts and it was mostly smooth sailing.I was really worried about my beautiful headliner, but other than eliminating 2 halogen lights, it looks factory. I still have to wire them and am going to do that in a few days with conduit on the roof. I had to remove the Braund TV antenna for the front unit to fit. I took some pics but don't know how to post them yet. If someone could help me I would appreciate it. I can't wait for a warm day to test. I'm wiring for 4 units just in case I need one more. I can be reached at 318 614 1443.

97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
encantotom

hi there,

we love a guy who will cut holes in his roof. i was on the roof of mine doing some cutting a summer ago and my neighbors thought i was crazy.

please do some pictures.

did you take out the basement airs so you would have more storage?

did you do duct work for the roof airs or just blow into the coach directly?

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
fulltiming

To post a photo, you need to have it on the web. If you don't have any webspace available to you, you can use the photo album section of this site. To do that, follow the procedure below:

1) log into NewellClassic.com
2) Click on QuickLinks, then click on Pictures & Albums
3) Click on Add Album
4) Name your album and then click on Upload Pictures
5) You will be asked for the location of the file on your computer, including the name of the file, ie c:\documents and settings\photos\picture234.jpg (note the photo should be resized to no more than about 800 pixels wide to make sure it isn’t wider than the screen when people are looking at it
6) Click on Upload Pictures
7) The pictures you uploaded will be displayed on the screen after they are uploaded from your computer to the internet
8) Now click on the photo you want to display and it will open full size
9) Right click on the full size photo and click on Properties
10) A new box will open up with the web address for the photo under Location. Either highlight the entire address (only part of it is displayed until you scroll across the address) then right click and click on Copy OR write down the entire address to type it in later.
11) Now, open up another window and go into NewellClassic.com, create a new post and where you want the image to be display, click on the little icon that looks like a Yellow sky with a mountain range and the sun, then type in the complete address you wrote down earlier or right click and click on paste to paste the address in the box (the address will look like http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/p...=1&pictureid=2
12) Click on OK and the photo will be displayed. If you want to use the UBB code rather than clicking on the icon it would be Code:
[img]http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=2[/img]
13) If you want multiple photos in one post, hit the Enter key after the first photo to make sure the next photo is on the next line, then repeat the process with the address for the next photo, etc.

It is really easier than the write up sounds. Hope that helps.

I am somewhat surprised that the three basement airs would not adequately cool your coach. Although I have four basement airs, I rarely use more than 2 or 3 unless the temperatures are well over 100 degrees. I have spend quite a bit of time in Dallas, Austin, Houston and Baton Rouge so I am familiar with high temperatures and high humidity.

Photos of the inside of the coach after the installation would be extremely interesting.

Hope you can join us in Austin in April for the Newell Mini-Rally.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
smagown

Here are the pictures: http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=3
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
fulltiming

Looks like a very nice install Steve. With the front two airs on high you should be able to really move some air. The basement airs outlets are typically located where they you don't feel a direct air blast from the A/C unit.

Good job. Hope you are very pleased with the result. I presume your coach is 45'8" long (the three digits following the 1N9 in the VIN).
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
smagown

Thanks Michael and Tom for responding.
When is the mini rally? I would like to meet everyone.
I chose Brisk Airs (12" tall) instead of Penguins (9.5" tall) because I couldn't see how to wire the digital thermostat in the ceiling, there isn't any room to feed through. I went non-ducted for the same reason. Each unit draws 12 amps so I increased my capacity to 45k from 40.5k and dropped the amps to 36 from approx. 42.
I installed the rear unit in the hole for a skylight and that was difficult as it was 16" square and I needed 14". I removed the glass and left the frame in and with a little grinding made it work.
I was terrified when I made the first cut but Cressley had stated there were two ribs running down the center, the length of the coach and parallel, with ribs every 2 feet from the sides. You can see the rivets where they runon the roof. I measured inside and cut a pilot hole up through the roof. It was perfectly centered so I drew my 14" square on the roof and made my cut. Removed the aluminum and the spray in foam insulation, then went inside and cut the headliner and very thin plywood in a 14.5" square. I made it bigger to access the four corner bolts that go through the inside plate to the unit outside.
I cut a blue hot wire to both the halogen lights that were eliminated that ran from the passenger side rib and just taped them up and the 4 wire cable that controls the Braund TV antenna in the front hole that I will relocate. I can splice it back together.
I didn't encounter anything else in the roof. Cressley had warned me not to get between the monitor panel and refer in the center of the coach because of wiring that may be there.
I'm going to remove the basement airs w/new boards if anyone needs them for parts as they both work.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

Hey Steve,

Welcome aboard. What at way to start posting !!!!!

A curiosity question for you. About how many inches are between the bottom of the plywood and the aluminum roof? Here's why I ask. A previous owner grafted a big screen tv to the roof of the coach. It is not recessed at all. If I could recess it, then it might not be such a eyesore.

When you take out the basement airs, make sure you solder a cap on the lines. If you leave them open the compressor will ruin quickly.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
smagown

Hey Richard:
On my roof,at the center it's three inches from the aluminum to the bottom of the plywood. The ribs going across are flat on bottom for the ceiling and on top, taper off from a max at the center (2 3/4" thick) going towards each side. Not a whole lot of room to recess.
Thanks for reminding me to seal the basement air compressor lines, I haven't started to remove them yet.
This thread is my first post ever,I lurked on this forum for almost a year,and the GMC mtr hm net for 10 years without ever posting. I hope to add something positive to your group!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
Wally Arntzen

Hi Steve,

I am also a former GMC'er and got into Newells 7 years ago. I started with a 78 which I had for 2 years and have an 88 for the past 5 years which we now live in as full timers. The GMC's are great little coaches but once you get involved with a Newell there is no looking back.
Nice job on the air conditioners and good luck and safe travels.

Wally Arntzen
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
fulltiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagown View Post
Thanks Michael and Tom for responding.
When is the mini rally?
The Newell mini-rally (not sponsored by Newell Coach) is to be held at La Hacienda RV Resort in Austin, Texas from April 19-22 (Sunday night through Wednesday night). I know that a number of Newell owners will be arriving the 17th or 18th.

We would love to see you there.

They are located at 5320 Hudson Bend Road, Austin, TX 78734. You can call for reservations at 512.266.8001 or 1.888.378.7275. Make sure you tell them you are with the Newell Rally.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #11
fulltiming

For those of you who are GPS freaks, the approximate coordinates of the entrance are N31.41707 W 97.92973 (per Street Atlas) which seems reasonable based on the coordinates I recorded at my site when I was at the park in late November, 2008.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

Thanks for the info. Three inches is better than nothing, plus the original install did nothing trick to minimize the protrusion of the system. If I could cheat the install 2 1/2 inches upward, and slope the roof liner 2 1/2 down, I might could make it flush. It's something to think about.

There's at least three more forum regulars there in La. Tuga, Arnold Bernard, and Mike Haddox. Good to have resources around for answering questions.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
smagown

Richard:
You could cut the longitudinal and transverse ribs big enough for your recess and then reconnect and box the ribs in with aluminum channel to support the roof.. Sony has a new 40" flat screen that I think is 1" thick by moving the lights to the sides instead of the back. The TV is pricey but I think will drop eventually.

I'm fixing to make my reservation in Austin for the rally.
I've talked to Arnold once when I was looking for a coach and once to Tuga also. I think Mike is just 15 miles from me but haven't met him yet.
Thanks