Tires, weight, speed and age - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Newell-Logic-Disorder

Default Tires, weight, speed and age

I just purchased a Newell that has been driven approximately 2000 miles in the last ten years. All the tires are at least 10 years old. Some some show cracks but I am confindent all need to be replaced. I need to drive it 60 miles to get it home where I can then begin looking for used tires that have adequate tread and are not old.

My question is can I drive the coach home and then find tires or am I likely to have a blow out? I can drive 45 mph and the coach will be empty. Would that increase the odds significantly? I have some spares but the condition is about the same. If one or more blew out I could change the tire(s) and keep going. I am not concerned about being stranded but do have concern a blow out would do damage to the coach. Please advise.

Newell-Logic-Disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Gone Busing

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to this great site. If you have AAA or towing on your insurance policy you could have it towed for free up to 100 miles and it sounds like you are well within those limits. I would definitely figure on replacing all tires past 7 years old. Many on here with deep pockets will replace theirs even sooner and you will surely here their reasoning. Then again you will here others say you can go the 7 years no problem and even longer depending on how the vehicle was stored etc.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
Viva Las Vegas JDR

Tires are a touchy subject and advice is hard to give when speaking of tires. Personally I would not worry about 60 miles just take it easy and double check tires along your way and keep your speed down. Blow outs are always a possibility though depending on actually tire condition. Gone Busing has made a valid point with AAA. To my knowledge AAA will tow 100 miles free of charge as long as you're a AAA RV Plus Member.

AAA Plus RV or AAA Premier RV Membership
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
MiracleJ

Newell Logic Disorder I sent you a private message for a guy with tires in your area.

Jerry
Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Randy J

Welcome and congrats on the Newell! I would recommend seeing what it would cost to have it towed it's a short distance you'd think it wouldn't be too outrageous. Good luck!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Cheri Smith

My husband said he would chance it since you're going slow and have no problem changing a tire out if need be. Like someone mentioned above if you have AAA that would be a good back up to get towed.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Newell-Logic-Disorder

Thank you for all the good input. I do have AAA but I got it after the fact. I'm not comfortable using it in this situation. I have a few leads on used tires. I have more time to look. It could be a year or at least many months before I have invested the time required for my coach to take a road trip so in the meantime I am learning and looking. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
The Newell

Newell-Logic-Disorder,

I'm not quite sure why your not comfortable using your triple A service. I know that you need to be a triple A member for 30 days prior to using your free 100 mile tow. Why not work out a deal to keep your newell parked at its current location until you can use your Triple A tow if your not up to driving it that distance?

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
Newell-Logic-Disorder

I drove it home today. Although all the tires are older only one showed cracks. I filled all the tires to the recommended 105 psi and drove 52 mph. No problems. What a blast to drive. Much more power than I expected. I am very much looking forward to getting to know this coach. Thank you all again for your input.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
NewellCrazy

That's good news, glad you made it home safe.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote