How to find air leaks in the supply system - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #41
rheavn

Steve,
It is stories like yours & Clarke's that make me believe that I too can get my system air tight. Everything that I have checked & rechecked is air tight which leads me to believe that I am missing something somewhere. I have it at an acceptable level, but no where close to what you & Clarke are experiencing. Oh well I have all winter to look!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #42
chockwald

During the summer months the coach rarely loses psi when in storage for a month at a time, but in the winter it does. Most likely I have some very small leaks, probably at various fittings that are only exposed when temps drop and metal contracts. I need to go through my system and find those.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #43
Richard and Rhonda

Yes, and sub freezing temps make mine leak like a sieve.

I always suspected the push on connectors not sealing well in cold temps.

I don't know about the ability to detect air leaking back through the compressor. It could be possible that the compressor internals muffle the ultrasonic whistle the detector is looking for. The check valves are notorious for leaking. If you want to be sure. Unscrew the line from the compressor, pressuize the system, and put the sniffer on the check valve.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #44
rheavn

Richard,
If cold weather can make fittings leak then that may be part of my issue as we have been cold. Not sure why the push connectors failed as I am just not that familiar with them & how they work. The check valve on my compressor has a hose that goes out the bottom of the coach. It has leaked air before when rust from the air tank got stuck in it. It is not leaking out the hose now though. I will bypass the compressor as you suggest, pressurize the system & check the check valve as you suggest. That will allow me to see if it is leaking back into the compressor and I'm not hearing it there, right? Thanks for the idea!

As a side note: My experience is that "no two Newells are alike". I spoke with Tuga about his air tank in the RF compartment on his '99 Newell and he doesn't have one. His coach was built not that long before mine. I'll inquire from Newell why mine has that particular tank and what it serves.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #45
rheavn

Richard,
I need to make a correction. The check valve that I referred to in my last post may not be a check valve at all, but some type of solenoid. A hose from the 110V air compressor goes to an air dryer before going to the air tank--at the bottom of the air dryer is a solenoid that drains out the bottom of coach. The solenoid has 2 wires.

The check valve that keeps air from going back into the air compressor is on top & part of my Juno 110V air compressor. It too has a hose coming off of it. I could blow air out, but could not suck air in, so I presume it is working. I have never detected air leaking at this check valve.

As a side note: It used to be that the air gauge in the rear engine compartment would go to zero over night. Today it went to 40psi over an 18 hour period. It appears to me that my leak decreases as the pressure decreases.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #46
Wally Arntzen

Try your air horns and the air pistions for your generator slide out and any other air pistions you have. The horns themselves can leak or the air valve that activates them.

I am currently in Tucson with my coach in a storage lot where I'm staying and I start it every week to keep my batteries up. I ran it monday leaving the air preasure up at 120 and this morning (saturday) it is still at 90 pounds, leaving a 30 pound loss in 6 days with no use of the system.

Stay at it and you will find the cause.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote