Does age of a used Newell Coach matter? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Ringo

Default Does age of a used Newell Coach matter?

This is my first post on the forum so please excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong place. Wife and I currently own a Class C but would like to upgrade to a Newell Diesel Pusher and full time upon retirement this summer. Our problem is the budget. We will only be able to spend about 50K on a used rig. That in mind most likely looking at something between to 15-20 years old. Hoping that we're going to survive another 10 or 15 years, that would make the coach 25-30 years old with no way of replacement. Are we crazy to think our dream of full timing is possible under these conditions? Your viewpoints will be greatly appreciated.

Ringo

Marlene & Bernie
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
zcasa

Hey Ringo:

We have several members on this forum that are fulltiming in vintage/classic Newell Coaches. A well cared for Newell Coach should outlive each of us. A great friend that we have made through the Newell experience is fulltiming in a 1982 Newell for two years now, and has had very few issues. Shows the strength and quality of a Newell. The wonderful thing is 24/7 factory service support. You will find quite a range of condition. Do your homework, and stick to this forum for advice, Coaches available etc. Right now, a Coach in the $52000 budget range is available on this forum. A wonderful 1993 39footer. Can't be beat.

Your challenge will be to find a Coach that has the extra living area for your drum set. lol

David

zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
1993Newell

I don't think age on a coach such as a Newell should matter. These coaches where built different from day one and by different I mean they are not your average motorhome. Read, ask questions and check some coaches out in person. You will see the quality difference instantly.

Yes, I agree Forest has a beautiful 1993 Newell like ours that is currently for sale.

Check this section of the forum out

Coach/Bus Buyer and Seller Exchange

and take a peek at the

NewellClassifieds.com

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Neweller

Ringo to the site. Glad you came on in and have shared your future thoughts and aspiration of luxury coach ownership. I really don't think age is all that much worry when it comes to a Newell or certain high end quality luxury coach, especially a Newell. A Newell is built hefty like a bus which share many of the same qualities in regards to the frame, body structure and running gear. Designed to go a million plus miles. Just keep the maintenance up on your unit and it should go on forever like Zcasa stated above. Fifty years from now you will probably see Newell's going across the Barrett-Jackson platform bringing bookoo bucks like an old Bentley or Mercedes Gull-wing today.

If you want to save a fortune and join the ranks of ultimate coach luxury, you have came to the right venue. Dive in and enjoy!
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
speedingsport

Everyone that owns a classic Newell seem to be happy with them. I say you buy what floats your boat
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
folivier

Well here's my thoughts. We have a '93 39' and just started fulltiming. Decided we would like to move up to a 45'. Not even looking at anything but a Newell. There are other coaches that are equal quality but not equal support.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
GringoPhil

Forest is right nothing compares to the quality And craftsmanship of a Newell Coach.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
afrench45

Okies build them to last!
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
jWolfe

If you upgrade from a class C you will love all the room you get in a Newell coach.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
MrE

Ringo,

All Newells are created for 1 million miles +. Do your research and don't buy a money pit, get a well cared for coach and you will be eternally happy! If you have $50k to spend, budget one half for the purchase and the other half for maintenance and upgrades. There are some great deals out there right now for some of the classics, and trust me, they are built really well. When we were on a quest for a coach, we test drove some later model cookie cutter coaches that had rattles and squeaks that could never be fixed because of how they were constructed. We ended up with a 1973 Newell that was tighter than....can't go any further on a PG13 site...but I hope you get my drift.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
NewellCrazy

$50k is not all that low an amount. You can get some pretty nice newell motor homes for that price. age really doesn't matter much and condition is the critical factor. A well-cared for coach still has lots of life left, but an abused one is already crap by then. Most, of course, are somewhere between those extremes, but there are plenty of good ones around if you are patient and search.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
77newell

Ringo: you've come to a site that can deeply inform you about Newell coaches. There is no pat answer to your question because there are coaches that are crap and there are those that are gems, the nameplate will not tell which it is that you are looking at. The best advice is to read all the postings on this site. You will learn what to look for to separate the weak from the strong and the just good looking from the actually well cared for.

Since you will be looking for a vintage coach be aware that there is stuff that deteriorates with time despite good care. As others have rightly noted the chassis or "house" is really well built and won't decay anything like you would experience with your typical class C, but there is stuff to watch out for. Anything organic or elastomeric will degrade with time (think hoses and seals which these coaches have lots of). In the vintage you are looking at it will probably be a V92 series Detroit Diesel, as you read this site pay attention to what is said about what works and what doesn't. These engines are different that your typical diesel, not in a bad or good way - just different, and you need to understand what it takes.

So, I believe age matters but not in the same way as with a class C. A few decades ago I was working in Great Britain and conjured up the idea of sailing back home to Michigan despite having only been on a sailboat once. A year and a half later I successfully sailed into my Michigan harbor. The key to pulling this off and not dying was listening to the people who had successfully done what I was intending and learning everything I could from them. It wasn't easy and there was plenty of effort involved in preparing, but I'm here to tell the tale. This site is populated by those that have done and are doing what you intend, learn all you can and there is no reason you too won't be happily touring in a comfortable economical coach.

My coach is 36 years old and we are now toward the end of a round trip from Michigan to the gulf coast in weather that has not met our desires. And yes we have had a problem/failure - with the 9 year old power converter of all things.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
MrE

Well stated Jon!
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Randy J

We stumbled upon our Newell. Couldn't be more happy with it. We have some good friends who are looking into owning one now to. They will be purchasing a older Newell. Since they have seen ours they have no worries about a older one. This site is the place man! Let's hit the highway and live the dream.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote