Loosing Coolant - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Flydrifter

Red face Loosing Coolant

For the past month, I have been loosing coolant, about a gallon every 300 miles. Newell pressure tested the system at 16 psi for 24 hours, no leaks. Then problem continued, reading on the diesel boards, it appears that the Detroit 60 series have had a history of blown head gasket problems. Early talks with Newell indicated that they prefer not to do major engine work, contacted locat Detroit Repair here in Tulsa. Their recommendation to check for coolant in the oil, sound like blown head gasket or even cracked head, cost could run $4,000 to $9,000 depending on what it needed including possible rebuilt head and maybe even sleeves, if they had to rework the bottom end could even be as high as $14,000. Gulp, this million mile engine only has 115,000 miles on it.

Anyway talked to Newell again, this time to Mike Evans, Service Manager, his recommendation was to call Trace Helm, Cabin Diesel Service, Big Cabin, OK, just down the turnpike from Miami. Trace listened to the whole story, and the first thing he ask was. "Have you checked the radiator cap", well DUH no, they pressure tested the system, but that did not test the cap. Pulled it, took it to the local O'Rileys, it wouldn't even hold 1 psi, when it is supposed to be a 16 psi cap. The one they had on the shelf, marked 16 psi, would only hold 9, so off I go to local NAPA dealer, he had one, but no tester.

I bought it, took it home and filled up the coolant, ran it up to 150 degrees, everything holdiing, couple of inches gain in the coolant reservoir, looking good.

Took it out and drove it, temp up to about 190 degrees checked it, level up to about the warm line, took it out on the freeway, pushed it up to 200 degrees, which is about where the thermostat must be, because it never would get over that, coolant up to the Hot line on the reservoir, man am I a "happy camper" if you can call a Newell a camper. Anyways. let it set overnight to cool, and just checked it, back down to the low side on the reservoir.

Looks like a $5.90 radaitor cap has solved my problem. Next time I will change that first. It is printed right on the cap to change it out when coolant is replaced. What an economical, but in my case overlooked fix.

Thought it might save someone alot of headache and worry to post this.

Ray Penick
1996 Newell #420
Tulsa, OK

Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
rheavn

Ray,
First thing I thought of was the radiator cap, because when I first got my coach it lost a little coolant each trip. New radiator cap & no more loss. Glad to hear you get to keep the $14,000 in your pocket. Might be a good time to replace the radiator cap on the AquaHot & genset too.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
chockwald

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.......Richard Entriken suggested a new cap, and that solved the problem....got the cap at the local Autozone. Love $6.00 solutions........$14,000 would ruin my year.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
prairieschooner

At some point they figured out that under pressure water boils at a higher Temperature (about 45 Degrees Higher!). The Pressure has allot to do with it but here is a link:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm

Before this the Radiator would loose water and everyone used a "drip bag" to help keep the engine at temp, remember the guys "boiling over" at the side of the Grapevine (or your favorite grade)?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Flydrifter

Thanks Guys, I should have gotten on here and asked a question. I would have had an answer instead of just researching all past threads.

THis is a great resource.

Ray
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
davidmbrady

Ray,

Series 60's should have a 190 deg F thermostat. They're of the Weir design. They start to open at 190 and are fully open at 205 deg F. The reason you rarely see your engine exceed 200 deg F is because that's the temp where the fan comes on full speed. The fan is programmed to come on at 200 deg F and remain on for 180 seconds or till when the temperature in the cooling system drops too 190 deg F. I'll look again, but I haven't heard of any chronic head gasket issues with the S60.

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird, LXi, NC
davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Flydrifter

Good information, thanks for the input, All.

Ray Penick
1996 Newell, #420
Tulsa, OK