Transmission shift cable? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Transmission shift cable?

Recently relocated residences while under a heavy work load the last 6 months and am moving the Newell last. While doing some maintenance on the '78 in preparations for its move to the new local, I noticed the insulation melted on the rear portion of the Allison HT740 shift cable. This cable connects at a junction in the engine bay on the driver side and then loops over the transmission where it connects on the transmission linkage on the passenger side. Can't even guess how it melted, don't see anyway that it touched a hot area. Very strange. I'm on the locate for a shift cable and very little time available to get the job done. Trying to avoid that expensive tow. Any thoughts on where to find this cable?

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
jwe648

Default Have One Made

You can most likely have one made. Probally local but here is one place..

http://www.push-pull.com/index.html

Jimmy

Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Neweller

Thanks for the link Jimmy. A local company mentioned that they order them from Six States, which I have dealt with in the past. I will check both out. It looks like I will have to limp the rig home or have it towed. One of the towing companies wants to tow it in neutral with the engine running, what do you think on that.

Thanks again,
Ken

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
jwe648

Default I'd Pass on that

It is a simple enough to just disconnect the drive shaft and tie it up out of the way. Per the book..

jimmy
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Neweller

That is what I said. This company sells and repairs RV's and they wanted to tow without disconnecting the drive shaft. hmmm.... The company is called Royal Gorge Towing. He wanted to charge $450.00 for a 20 mile tow.

In the short, I did get her home without mishap by driving it. I went ahead and disconnected the cable from the trans, but she would only go in first, so I figured that was do to the electronics and it was. I had to pull the cable from its slip in bracket on the drivers side by just pulling it out. Pretty easy for the most part. Now that she is at her new resting spot, I'll be able to finish up some needed things for her sale.

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 12-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
HoosierDaddy

Hey Ken,
You might want to check your engine-to-frame ground. If it is not grounding properly it may be grounding through the shifter cable (thus causing it to heat up). I had to completely remove and clean my ground cable a couple times on my '78 Newell.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Neweller

OK thanks, I'll check all the grounds. I'll be doing some clean-up on some 12v wiring issues anyway. I can see how a bad ground could cause something like that. I need to look over all connection and possible corrosion issues.

Ken

-Bob Marley