Tech Talk Archives 1 - Page 8 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #141
Neweller

A
231 1/23/2001 5:04:44 AM 1/23/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Tag axle pressure When I pull into a rest area, I usually check my tire temps with my hand. I started noticing that my tag tires where running hotter than my drive. I found the guage to be the problem (10 years old) and replaced it with a 0-50 psi guage. I have found that a setting somewhere between 20 and 30 PSI will keep the tire temps the same.
Using your hand to check the temps will also help find a low tire ( I found as little as 10 psi will make a noticeble temp. change). I still check my tires with a guage on a normal schedule.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #142
Neweller

A
232 1/23/2001 5:51:38 AM 1/23/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Air Leaks My 1986 40', after a day or two, will drop all the way down on passenger side. I have tried leaving level switch on and turning it off. The air compressor is working properly.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #143
Neweller

233 1/23/2001 5:57:16 AM 1/23/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Electric Heaters I found that Carroll Appliance is handling the recall for Square D. Mark Casey is the contact 800-654-3545. He sent me three new heaters at $88.00 each. Thanks for all your help.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #144
Neweller

A
234 1/23/2001 6:08:54 AM 1/23/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com skylight gaskets Mine only leak while driving. I have installed sun roof air diverter purchased at Auto Zone parts store, the type used for car sunroofs.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #145
Neweller

235 1/23/2001 2:56:17 PM 1/23/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Air Leaks With the manual system (four toggle switches, one for each corner, plus a master on/off) rather than the later, single button automatic system, once you have leveled, turn the master switch to off. If you still have a leak that causes the coach to become unlevel, you can try to find the leak by using soapy water to soak all of the connections between the leveling valves and the air bags until you find one (or more) that bubble.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #146
Neweller

A
236 1/24/2001 5:04:17 AM 1/24/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com New Leveling Systems In your tech reply to air leaks, you mentioned a newer one lever leveling system versus my 1987 4 toggle system. Is there an upgrade kit available from you or an aftermarket source for the control unit?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #147
Neweller

Q
237 1/24/2001 3:47:09 PM 1/24/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com roof AC from eng. & inverter? Through the years, we have equipped a handful of new coaches to operate a 120 volt air conditioner from a large inverter powered by a high capacity alternator. However, we are not enthusiastic about this approach. While the system can be designed within the theoretical capacities of the individual electrical components, the alternator and inverter are being pushed very hard under these circumstances. In addition, the large amount of DC current flowing between the alternator and inverter to produce the approximately 1500 watts to run an a/c can result in a simple fault (i.e., loose connection) having a serious result (i.e., fire). Further, there is a temptation to push this approach even further, running an a/c from the batteries, a situation we feel is far too aggressive. We suggest using the on board generator to operate the a/c and avoiding the considerable extra expense and risk of attempting to use the inverter for this job. By the way, using the alternator to supply the inverter with current for air conditioning loads is not "free power." The alternator under this type of load will consume an extra 15 hp or so from the main engine. This is power that is not available for climbing hills, etc., and fuel mileage is affected. Operating the generator supplies independent power for the a/cs, and the fuel used is, to some extent, an offset from the decreased mileage of putting this load on the main engine. Others may differ, but this is our opinion.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #148
Neweller

A
238 1/26/2001 4:47:46 PM 1/26/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com New Leveling Systems There is no retrofit kit as such to convert from the four button system to the single button, automatic system. One would have to go through the leveling system adding and replacing parts as required, to end up with the automatic system. While the automatic system is certainly convenient, with the single push of a button all that is required, a well maintained, properly functioning four button system will do an excellent job. Without making a study of it, we'd estimate that the changeover could easily run a couple thousand dollars, and perhaps some frustration before everything was operating correctly. As a related aside: the solenoid valves operate with magnets and springs. Over time, they will gradually weaken and eventually fail. Therefore, expect some maintenance on the air leveling systems from time to time.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #149
Neweller

A
239 1/28/2001 8:53:22 PM 1/29/2001 Dean 67gto@bright.net 1978 bay door latches I'm getting ready to repaint. The round bay door latches on my 1978 are getting rusty. Is there a good source for new ones? Do you stock them at the factory? If so how much do they cost?
Thanks!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #150
Neweller

Q
240 1/29/2001 8:24:59 AM 1/29/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 1978 bay door latches You can order Newell parts, or check stock and prices, by calling us toll free at 1-888-363-9355. With specific regard to the stainless steel bay door locks you need, the part number is NC6263, 6 are currently in stock, the price is $66.86 each.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #151
Neweller

A
241 2/5/2001 4:52:26 AM 2/5/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com roof AC from eng. & inverter? A recent e-mail has prompted me to better explain my use of an inverter powered roof a/c:
1) My Brisk Air HE provides 20% more cooling, while using 25% less energy (less than 10 amps) than my factory supplied Mach III.
2) My 3000 watt inverter is operating at 35% of its continuous duty rating. My alternator is operating at 55% of its rated capacity (65% if I turn my solar system off).
3)The absence of noise and vibration from the genset is well worth the parasitic 10-15 HP on the main engine. (Come on now Newell, 15 HP off a 500 Detroit is peanuts, and you can always start the genset if you see a mountain pass looming ahead).
5) I am sure that in 3 to 4 years from now, I will be chastised for my outdated/obsolete energy wasting system, but what the hey, I still love new technolgy.
6) Thank you Newell (Karl), for providing an excellent, well laid out bulletin board, and providing your staff to reply to our questions. Cheers: John Clark

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #152
Neweller

A
242 2/8/2001 11:59:04 AM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature I too have experienced a little heating problem, I think. Just had the radiator removed, cleaned and a small leak repaired in our 1983 6V92. Had the transmission serviced and AMSOIL synthetic installed (I'm a dealer). Transmission temp rarely gets much off the peg unless pulling long hills in very hot weather. Engine oil temp usually runs around 190-205 degrees but as of late, the water temp is showing strange signs: The instrument needle will jump up and down a little when up to highway speed and seems to be running closer to 212 degrees. In the past it pretty much followed the oil temp. Is it possible that my water temp sending unit is going? It's up on the back of the expansion tank on the back of the radiator and I see no loose wires. Can anyone tell me how to test this to be sure it is sending an accurate reading to my dash instrument?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #153
Neweller

A
243 2/8/2001 12:03:02 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Backup System I sent my Intec camera and monitor back to the company and they promptly repaired the problems. It is back in now and working correctly, but seems to not be providing a sharp focus. I remember the tech guy at Intec saying he needed to tweek the focus a little, but I think he tweeked the wrong way!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #154
Neweller

A
244 2/8/2001 12:08:33 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Positive Feedback! I sure agree with you Dick! After three+ years I have finally learned nearly everything about our 1983, but still get stumped from time to time. I think the factory folks do a good job trying to figure our problems out, and this forum was a great idea to add to that. Keep up the good work Karl and staff!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #155
Neweller

A
245 2/8/2001 12:10:44 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Rivet Heads I have experienced the same thing as Linda Schneider. Can you tell me what a "cherry cap" is and where I can get them? Thanks!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #156
Neweller

A
246 2/8/2001 12:17:55 PM 2/10/2001 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org Merge Switch and Solenoid Should the battery condition meter read the same regardless if the switch is in the up or down position? Also, is it okay to leave the switch in the merge position at all times when on the road or when connected to electric service? I assume that by leaving the batteries merged while not hooked up will drain both the starting and house batteries and not be a good idea.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #157
Neweller

A
247 2/10/2001 1:12:24 PM 2/10/2001 Wesley Johnson wjjohns@pressenter.com 1979 Newell fire..restore We have replaced all the sides windows in our 1974 Newell. They are all good and we still have them. Bedroom 21x55. They are angled. Dining area is the same. Maybe this will help, send a reply if interested. They are regular glass not insulated.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #158
Neweller

Wesley Johnson Phone (715)749-3456 A
248 2/10/2001 7:34:59 PM 2/26/2001 Les Renfro LRCOMPROP@CS.COM 1990 38FOOT NEWELL We are looking at a 1990 38 ft. Newell to possibly purchase, and would appreciate any feedback that anyone can give us as to dependability or drawbacks to that year model/coach. Would like to hear any comments or about experiences that anyone has had.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #159
Neweller

Q
249 2/11/2001 12:22:12 PM 2/26/2001 HAROLD OLSEN carol.olsen@verizon.net Amp hrs Amper hours accumulate on my link 2000 heart interface when the coach is pluged in. Why? Next. how are steering axle tiresw identified frm drive tires?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #160
Neweller

Q
251 2/14/2001 8:03:04 PM 2/26/2001 corky cfeole@bigfoot.com 1969Newell coach hi i just sold my fathers 1969 26ft newell it sold for $10,000 i have a 30 ft newell that would take considerbly more to buy if i was ready to let it go but i am having to much fun with it. A

-Bob Marley